Break in period - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat1BoyJay View Post
Ok I rode for about 15 miles today in stop and go traffic and on the interstate. I just dont understand what I am doing wrong. The manual says stay under 4k rpms for the first 500 miles but its impossible, even in 6th gear once i get over 30 mph its well over 4k. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!!

I too just got a ZX6R and in the break in period. I also found it hard to keep it in that 4K rpm range all the time, but can keep it under 6K.
I talked to the guy at the dealer and he said that the 4K range is just a manufacturer's suggestion and that going a couple thousand RPMs over during the break in period isn't going to hurt.

I believe that they are trying to say you should shift up according to your speed to keep the RPMs down as much as possible instead of racing the engine at high RPMs in a lower gears. Basically you want to work all the gears through. So at about 50+ mph you should be in 6th and probably be in the 6k rpm range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
guys, enough!!! just RIDE the dayum bike for pete's sake. quit treating it like its a virgin and ride the bitch!!!!!! cause if you dont, ill come over and show you how to ride.

dayum!!!!!

just dont keep it at a constant rpm. fluctuate the rpm's, even when cruising!!!

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 AM

DemonRR's right! haha. But, IMHO, the 'right' way to break in any engine is to use it exactly like you are going to use it after the 'break in' period. If your riding it like a granny, the piston rings are not going to have alot of pressure on them and thus wont seat as well as if you rode it like a real man. I could go into all the specifics and science, but I wont. Only other recomendation I have would be to use conventional oil for the break in, and then switch to synthetic after.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 AM

I'm sorry,but I'm gonna have to disagree here. I say break it in like the manufacturer says to do.

Do you honestly think that you know more than the engineers that designed and built the bike? Personally, I'd listen to them before a bunch of random guys on a website forum.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRR View Post
guys, enough!!! just RIDE the dayum bike for pete's sake. quit treating it like its a virgin and ride the bitch!!!!!! cause if you dont, ill come over and show you how to ride.

dayum!!!!!

just dont keep it at a constant rpm. fluctuate the rpm's, even when cruising!!!
Haha, hell yeah. Good man. This quote gave me goosebumps!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post
I'm sorry,but I'm gonna have to disagree here. I say break it in like the manufacturer says to do.

Do you honestly think that you know more than the engineers that designed and built the bike? Personally, I'd listen to them before a bunch of random guys on a website forum.
Yeah, your probably right zxrider. I know theres a whole bunch of people that stand by the manufacturers specs, and a whole bunch of people that swear by the concept I talked about. Its just what I choose to belive. I had it explained to me by a few mechanic friends, and it made alot of sense to me.

But Im not one to agrue about such things

Ill ask one of the mechanics that explained it to me why the manufactures tell you to take it easy, just for kicks.

But you do raise a good point. If you can engineer all these kick-ass motors, you must know what the hell your doing

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hern101210
as long as you don't race the engine through the lower gears and and don't stay at the same RPM's, you will do no harm to the rings. Taking it easy causes the ring to not have enough pressure all the way around the ring to seat properly, causing the the rings to leak into oil. Which leads to the oil becoming contaminated thus robing power and causing more wear in engine. I never go above 8k on my machines the first 1k miles and those rings look better than my brothers, who likes to follow word for word in the manual.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade56 View Post
When parts are not mated correctly, they will have premeture failure. Maybe not right a way, but they do fail. I have heard about the dyno break in method and the ride it like you stole it method and have fixed guys bikes who did these methods.

The bike comes with an owners manual and usually all the Kawasaki's I have seen usually require a 1k mile break in.

I recommend reading the owners manual and see how they say to break it in. I usually follow or just a very little bit harder than what they say for the break in period.

I agree. Back in 1998 I had a new ZX-9R and I worked at D&D Exhaust back then. We dynoed my ZX9 when it had 700 easy miles and changed the oil and filter and made a pull. We did it again when I had 1500 miles(changed the oil and filter 2 more times) and it gained 8 HP.My co worker had a R1 back then he too noticed my ZX9 ran harder after a 1500 miles. I have been Drag racing bikes for 30 years I would Not Drive it Hard until I had driven at leat 600 miles and changed the oil and filter.

2007 ZX-14 Metallic Black Muzzy Exhaust,advancer, PC III USB Moto Fuel Map, Ivans TRE, Speedohealer, Flys Removed, K&N filter, Buell Pegs, LSL Riser Kit,Smoked Double Bubble, Polished Rims, Vortex 42 T sprocket.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post

I kept mine under 4000 first 500....then under 6000 till 1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode