My ZX7R is here! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Today the bike is in the shop for a minor tune-up and mechanical inspection. I already miss it! This weekend I went to pick it up in Texas where the owner was meeting me halfway. The transaction went smoothly and the bike was in excellent condition. I examined it and we tied it down in the back of the truck and headed home. I got home late Saturday night, put the bike inside, and we went out to party. I could not wait for Sunday morning. Sunday I woke up pretty early, checked everything I could check on the bike visually, put on my gear, and headed out for a ride. Here are my thoughts.

To begin, the only other sportbikes I have ridden is a '98 CBR f3 '99 f4 and this bike is completely different. Couple things I have noticed immediately:

First, the ZX7R riding position is pretty damn comfortable, at least for me, - I'm 5'9". The gas tank seems huge at first and does require some adjustment; but by the end of the first day, I would have to say I think it is more comfortable because your legs are in a more natural position sightly outwards.

The back tire is HUGE! That 190 looks really good but it does make for less flickability. The bike itself is rather large making it much more comparable in size to litre bikes than the 600's.

The bike is heavy weighing in at about 448lbs. dry. This is a statistical fact and you do feel it. However, the weight seems to only play a negative role when you are turning slowly. When you are at any constant cruising speed the weight seems to plant the bike in the turn thus making it very stable and confidence inspiring. It did not take me long at all to adjust to it as it just sits into the turn and stays there.

I have never driven a ZX7R stock so I can not make a true comparison. This one has MUZZY full exhaust and Stage 1 jet kit and I have heard that those mods make for serious improvement in HP on the 7's. Anyway, the power delivery is VERY torquey but smooth, making the acceleration feel much faster than the 600's especially down low. The bike is suprisingly faster than I thought it would be and I have not even pushed it hard yet! The most pleasant suprise though, and one of the reasons I bought this bike, is that on the street the power is delivered smoothly and predictably.

All things being said, I was very impressed that the bike was in great condition. It is heavier than I thought it would be but it's not too bad. It is faster than I thought it would be. It corners pretty well but maybe could use a 180 on the back. Its comfy and I really like my new bike. I think it's going to make a great street bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 01:24 AM
Squid

Send a message via AIM to jk6672
I'm glad you are more than satisfied with your bike You must get some pictures posted

John
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 02:07 AM
Pete

Congrats!

Way to go Joe! Glad to hear that you like it so well; that's what counts most!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 03:19 AM
Founder

Joe,

Glad you like the bike.

#1 I would (as you probibly already know) suggest going to a 180 rear. It will notice a big difference.

#2 We need to see what we can do about changing your nick. You ain't a Honda boy no more!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 03:31 AM
Super Mod

Congrats on the new bike.

What year is it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 04:07 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportbikeworld
Joe,

Glad you like the bike.

#1 I would (as you probibly already know) suggest going to a 180 rear. It will notice a big difference.

#2 We need to see what we can do about changing your nick. You ain't a Honda boy no more!

Ya how about Posin' Joe ??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 04:09 AM

Good Choice for motorcycles!!!!!!!

I would definately go with the 180 tire. I have a Dunlop 207 on my ZX-7 and love it. A little slick till it warms up but then it turns into flypaper. Congrats on the bike and you have to post some pics!

Not afraid to die,
Just live paralyzed!!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7, 2003 CBR954RR
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

To be honest, I did not select the name because of the Honda bike. It was my name on LS1.com and I figured I might as well just use the same one.

I might be willing to go with "Posin' Joe" or "Smokin' Joe Poser" if I could keep the post count.

By the way, how do I post pics?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2000, 06:28 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin' Joe
To be honest, I did not select the name because of the Honda bike. It was my name on LS1.com and I figured I might as well just use the same one.

I might be willing to go with "Posin' Joe" or "Smokin' Joe Poser" if I could keep the post count.

By the way, how do I post pics?
You have to have them on a website, If you don't have this luxury .. Email the pics to me bro , I'll host and post em ... [email protected]

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 12:33 AM

Talking Congrats

Nothing like a new ride! Nothing like a new ZX! Keep us posted on the fun. Way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode