91 zx-6, 1st bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

91 zx-6, 1st bike

So I know someone that is selling a 1991 Kawasaki zx-6 with 17,000 miles. The price he is asking is 2000 dollars and he is throwing in a helmet (doesn't fit me) and a joe rocket mesh jacket. Just wanted to know what you guys thought of this bike and the price. Also he said he dropped it once on a very slow turn. Condition seems good for a 91, two small cracks.
Also another question, besides gear and insurance what other expenes are there when purchasing your first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM

don't know much about the bike but as far as other expenses.

MSF Course! Definitely a must, preferably before you shell out the money for a bike, gear, insurance and all that stuff. That way you'll at least have a pretty good idea of whether you want to ride or not.

She's Found! Now I just hope I can restore her to her former glory...

Theres never weather bad enough to stop riding.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I will be taking the msf course without a doubt. The only problem is that the next opening is in like July. I was thinking of getting the bike and taking the test and then just taking it easy until my time for the msf course comes. I don't want to pass on the deal because I have a feeling it won't last long, the guy really wants to sell the bike because he needs the money for a down payment on his next bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Nice bike

I breifly owned a 1992 ZX-6D and have ridden a few ZX-6E's as well (basically the E model is pretty much the same as the D, but adds a ram-air system)

When the ZX-6D came out in 1990, it was the most powerful, top dog 600 of the time. About 80 rear-wheel horsepower, low 11's in the quarter mile, and about 145mph top speed. Certainly more than enough to keep a newbie like yourself entertained.

What I really liked about the ZX-6 is that it was REALLY comfortable. The ergonomics are almost sport-touring vs racer replica. You can actually ride the thing all day without needing a chiropractor. Personally, I've always liked the look of the bike too. The styling was way ahead of it's time and still looks relatively modern today.

If it's in good condition, I think $2000 is a good deal for it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, I did notice that this bike has been the most comfortable one that I have sat on. Definetly a plus. I too like the look of the bike, when I saw it I thought he told me the wrong year.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Strength and Honor

Use nadaguides.com and kbb.com to determine what range the bike is probably worth. Then adjust (if you can) for local conditions. For instance, CA residents seem to pay much more than the rest of us for bikes. Remember those listings presume the bike is in excellent shape, which you've described is not the case, so discount probably applies.

And a used bike is an excellent first choice.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

When I KBBed the bike, the site said $2,200 or $2,300. There is a small scuff mark on the side because he dropped it and like two small cracks I saw. But he is also throwing in a helmet and a jacket so I guess it all evens out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

When I KBBed the bike, the site said $2,200 or $2,300. There is a small scuff mark on the side because he dropped it and like two small cracks I saw. But he is also throwing in a helmet and a jacket so I guess it all evens out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 PM

I have a 90 ZX6D, its a great bike, you can keep up with any new 600, has modern rubber and modern tire sizes, suspension parts are available, airtech makes cheap aftermarket plastics, only downside to these bikes (all of the ZX6 models, even the R's) is the clunky tranny and 2nd gear issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode