Help me find a used '98-'99 ZX-7r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

After months of research and shopping, I am finally prepared to go out and get a bike. By the subject, you may have guessed what I really want. The '98 or '99 ZX-7R is in my opinion one of the best looking bikes out there. The trouble is that there are not all that many of them(another reason I want one).

I have been looking in the local "News On Wheels", Ebay, and the clasiifieds of this site. Cna anyone offer any advice on how to go about finding one for sale or possibly list some sites or publications to search in?

I am not really pressed for time here and I am willing to shop around a good bit to find one that is in GOOD condition, with minimal cosmetic damage if any, and a reasonable price tag. I prefer the Green color scheme but I would be willing to look at others.

I'm setting the time limit on this search to about the beginning of Oct, which should give me about 5 weeks. If I can not find anything by then, I will probably go with a '99 or '00
ZX-6R or a CBR F4 which are a dime a dozen.

Please help me out if you see any for sale. Thanks.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 07:34 AM
Pete

Joe, pick up Cycle Trader magazine, I saw several ZX7Rs in last week's issue. Granted, they were all in Texas (it's the TX/LA edition), but you may have to go out of state since Louisiana ain't exactly the sportbike capital of the world. You can also check www.traderonline.com

Good luck!

P.S. I hate to say this where Spitfire can see it, but I too think that the ZX7R is one of the best looking bikes out there.

------------------
Pete
"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited August 24, 2000).]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pete. Where do I get that magazine???

I have no problem going to Texas to get the bike if the price is right. If I do, will I have to pax tax on it to bring it back into LA???

------------------

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 03:13 AM

Hey Joe,
Just check out the website. I believe it has all of the listings that are in the mag and then some, since you can list for free on the website. www.traderonline.com

If you want the paper copy, most 7-11's or Circle K's (do you have those?) carry them. Just look right next to the front door in the magazine rack next to the newspapers. (Convenience stores are so predictable)

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 03:45 AM
Pete

Joe,

What Will said.

As for the tax, yes, you'll have to pay when you register the bike in Louisiana. You can minimize the hurt to your wallet by convincing the seller to write the sale at a much lower price than the actual selling price. The state will use that bill of sale for the tax basis.

------------------
Pete
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:34 AM
Just Passin' Through...

Sales tax on a private sale???

Is that a Texas/Louisiana thing? In AZ, and everywhere else I know of, you shouldn't have to pay any sales tax if you're not buying from a dealer.

They tried a tax law here a few years ago, where you had to pay sales tax if you bought a used vehicle from a private seller, if the value of the vehicle was over $750. All of a sudden, every used bike and car people bought seemed to be worth $750!

The lawmakers soon realized just how stupid and unenforceable that law was, and they tossed it!

------------------
Life is hard.
It's even harder when you're stupid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:53 AM

Its actually not that uncommon....I know Virginia does it also. You get to pay tax since its a sale in that state. And you had to register your car with the County you live in so you could be taxed on it once a year too...(can you say double taxation), that tax was based on the bluebook times a certain percentage....

Just my rambling

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:02 AM
Pete

Well, maybe I spoke out of turn about bringing a bike back into Louisiana, but I know it works that way when you bring one into Texas, or buy from a private seller within Texas.

------------------
Pete
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:57 PM
Pete

Joe, I guess I should have been more clear with the terminology. You're right, it's not a sales tax, it's the tax for registering the bike in the state that you have to pay.

Just FYI, you got the pronunciation right, but the spelling is p-i-r-o-g-u-e. I'm Cajun, born and raised in Thibodaux, LA, and logged many miles in pirogues. For those who don't know and want to know, I can best describe a pirogue as a flat bottomed canoe, without the upswept bow and stern. Made to traverse the mucky swamps, i.e., the backyard.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Alright I checked on the tax thing. As far as I understand, I won't have to pay any "sales" tax if I go buy the bike in Texas since it is a private sale. I will have to pay tax for the ownership of the item based upon estimated blue book value once I bring it back here. I'm not sure whether an "adjusted bill of sale" can be used for the tax basis here. Basically, I think this means that I don't get double f*cked, but I do have to pay tax on the bike when I register it in LA.

I know there are some LA guys on this forum so if you guys read this and you can clear this tax issue up for me, Please do so.

Thanks for the site Pete and yes we do have Circle K's here. I just have to row my peerog to get down the bayou to one.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode