600R or EX500???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Question

In my search for the right first bike, I've narrowed my choices down to the Kawi 600R and EX500 (years ranging from '87 to '91 for both bikes).

According to the information I've gathered so far, both bikes make good learning platforms.

I was wondering about the availability of parts for both of these models (especially if tires are still made to fit these bikes). Any information on this subject would HELP A LOT.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend one bike over the other for any reason, please go ahead and do so.

Thanks. A lot.

------------------
Hayabusa ~ 0-60 in under 3 sec / top speed - approaching 200mph
F-22 Raptor ~ 0-60 in under 2 sec / top speed - Mach 2.0+

I'll take the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2000, 08:57 PM
Squidwannabe

Hey man!

I was faced with the same decision as you..
I choose the 600R. It is sportier, I wont outgrow it too fast. It is JUST AS TAME AS AN EX500!!! A little heavier, The EX500 wheelies easier! But the brakes SUCK!(ex500) THE SUSPENSION SUCKS!(ex500), You could put a fork brace on the EX but... My girlfriend could drive the 600R, but she finds it a bit heavy. I Just went 500 kilometers on the bike and.... wasn't to bad(probably could have went further on the EX), I wasnt wearing gloves soo my throttle hand became fatigued quickly, I will invest in some grips and maybe a corbin seat ?? oh oh and some gloves... very fun bike .. will go like stink when you want, and it is a great commuter!

GO FOR THE 600R!

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2000, 01:11 PM

Talking

I have an '87 600R and it is my first bike. I have been very pleased so far. I agree with the other poster, the bike is a bit heavy and if you are looking for a wheelie machine, look elsewhere. But the Ninja is plenty fast. I have had mine for a year and I find new challenges every day with it. Mine has been bulletproof, even with 23,000 miles on the odometer.

Even though it is an older bike, it still turns heads. Just so you can comparison shop, I bought mine for $3000 and it included a custom paintjob and new tires. Some might say that I overpaid, but I got what I wanted.

To make a long story short, go for the 600R. Take care and good luck!

------------------
John E. Dawson
'87 Ninja 600R
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 02:08 AM
Squidwannabe

Thumbs up

I paid 2800$ cdn
36,000 k,mint With tankbag,disc lock ,alarm,manual,cargo net.....

------------------
Allow myself to introduce myself -- Austin Powers
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 05:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Go with the 6. You won't be disapointed!

------------------
Anyone got a rear tire I can borrow?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 09:40 PM

Just remember, the only people that don't laugh at people on 500s are...people on 500s. Anything is something to ride and I'm sure you'll be happy either way. My first bike was a 1990 CBR F1. Now I ride a 6R and love it.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 08:36 PM

SS is right on.

------------------
Hey officer, wanna race????
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 07:56 AM
SS

jackal,

dont fall into that 'bigger is better' crap. Anyone trying to tell you 'you'll outgrow it' or 'youll get laughed at' is feeding you a line.(i dont own a 500).

The EX500 is a great platform for learning. You can do alot on a smaller bike you cannot do on a 6, and it is far better for building your skills (the higher performance bikes help to isolate the rider from feedback, critical in skill building).

Anyone can twist a throttle for speed, but its a lot more fun to acquire speed through your own skills than through purchasing horsepower. Go to any track and youll see ex250s, ex500s, and fzr400s pouncing the 'real' bikes.

I dont want to dissuade you from a 6, i just wanted to point out that not all cyclists think displacement=speed. I learned ona 750, traded down to a 6, and am considering a ex250 as my next ride. And when someone laughs at me, ill be comfortable in knowing i can outride the moron who thinks that displacement indicates skill.

------------------
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2000, 09:10 AM
Squidwannabe

SS is right..

For the street the ex is fine. But if you do get better you will come to realize that the stock brakes and susp are limited(I KNOW). If you do buy an ex trust me on this on put a F2 front end on it! and a zx6 rear and then you'll really show people up!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2000, 12:28 AM
SS

Good point wannabe. Another great thing about the EX is that theyre easy (and fun)to upgrade. For the price difference between the two bikes you can do a LOT of mods.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode