Need tires - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

My bike is a 99 zx-6r. My 207 will not hook up. When new they were great, 2200 miles on them and now they slide. What going on ! I still have good tread on the back the front down to the tread indicator on sides. The suspension setting were not change. Do street tire have so many heat cycles before there are junk, if you over heat them what affects do's this have on them. I can't decide on my next set Pilot sport, Dragon evo, or Metzeler mez3 I need cornering grip

------------------
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2000, 01:54 PM

I run Dunlops on my bike, all i can get out of my tires is about 2500 miles. The price you pay for having fun.

------------------
Jacob
"Kornkid"
Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 02:00 PM

My rear tire on my zx-12 only lasted 2300 miles and i never did a burnout from launching hard,however i did a 1st gear power wheelie passing a friend of mine on his zx-9 and he said the tire was smoking(I wasn't about to turn around and look).I also accelerate very hard and do wheelies quite a lot.

------------------
harryzx-12

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:28 PM

Cool

The other guys are right.If your're doing a lot of agressive riding, you'll do good to get 2500 miles.Much of the tread depth is there to help shed water, not to provide milage. Runing a sport tire until it's bare is a bad idea(I've done it alot).I've had great results with dunlop 207's.I've bought them for several bikes over the years, and they came stock on my new 2000 ZX9R.When it's time to replace them I'll buy the same.
Be warned!! Race tires should be left for just that.They are designed for maximum cornering grip at full operating temperature. I'ts unlikely you'll ever get them up to temperture and keep them there on the street.
They wear to trash extremely fast,even after just a few hundred miles or less. Also, they are not designed to provide the sort of stabilty that street tires do.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode