Help with paint? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 97 ZX9R, with a damaged fairing. I picked up a used fairing and looking to have it repainted back to factory colors. (I'm not going to paint it myself.) The lower part of the fairing is painted purple and the upper half is green. There is a sticker that separates the colors. Has anyone ever repainted this fairing or know anyone that can help in this situation? How much paint is needed to do the job? Paint codes? (Probably have to get from the dealer.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2000, 07:31 AM

Some paint shops have a device that "scans" the colors to be repainted from your parts and gives the Painter a mix code. That way even aged/faded colors can be matched. I would check with some shops around your town and see if they can do this for you.

------------------
Marty
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 07:45 PM

Arrow

I have painted this part (twice) on my old bike... feel free to ask me any questions about it. As far as the color match... there is a company called color-rite (I think) that has the paint for stock motorcycles. I would not suggest going and getting the color "scanned" or a "picture" taken to match the color (PPG does this) I did that and my friend did it also... neither times did the paint match - WAY off! PPG is good about it as long as you get the GOOD paint (not the Omni brand) It also costs alot more for the good stuff. I will have the "[email protected]" address until the end of the month, after that it will be "[email protected]" so drop me an email if you have any questions. the bike that I painted twice was a '94 ZX-9R, you can see pictures of it on my web page (also good until the end of the month)

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 12:47 AM

As far as the scanning method or "picture" method as it has been called, it sounds like someone didn't have the proper knowledge to give you a good match. When done properly, they will scan in several different areas of the same color and collect an average to get the code with. Even then some tinting might have to be done to get an accurate match. When done properly, this is the best method I know of to match older paint. DuPont makes some very good paint, if you stay in the chromasystem. Plus I would suggest using a little cooler clear, you have to be a little more carefull about the clear sagging, but the results are usually worth it- besides mild sags can usually be buffed out with no problem.

------------------
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I emailed Color-Rite for a quote.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode