Zx-7R question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

I am fairly new to sportbikes and I have been riding a little less than a year. I have been looking for a few months now to upgrade to a sportbike. I was mainly thinking of 600cc since they are less powerful, more forgiving, and easier to control, and the insurance would be reasonable.

Anyway, my question arises since there is a 1996 or 1997 (I'm not sure)Zx-7R at a local shop with about 8000 miles for about $5000 but the guy said he'll deal. The only reason that I bring this up is that I love the way it looks so much. I had been set on a 1999-00 Zx-6r or Honda F4 but this one is a looker.

So I am now very interesting in comparing the Zx-7r to the newer late model 600's in every way. I know that it is heavier but will this make it more difficult to ride? Is it faster? How does it handle? How about the reliability? Most importantly though, I wan to know if I should stick with a 600cc simply because I haven't been riding long. Is the Zx-7R a viable option I should consider or does it have too much power and less forgiveness than what I need. Any and all help would be appreciated.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 04:36 AM

Get the ZX-7!! You'll thank me for it later!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding Wolfman and I know I like the way it looks but I really need some specific info here. This is going to be a big investment for me and I want to research all the pros and cons of any bike I might get. I'm particularly interested in how this bike compares with newer 600's in every way. Long posts are very welcome.

------------------

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 06:45 AM

Although a little heavy (what is it, like 60-70 lbs. more than most of the 600's), the ZX-7R is a great bike.

It's got more power than the 600's, and, although not quite as flickable, it is very stable at speed, even in the turns. Respect your limits and you'll love this bike.

Considering its weight, the 7R turns VERY well, it just takes some practice to get used to it (as you would any bike).

Reliability - well, mine is doing just fine. I know some other guys with 7R's that absolutely love them - they never once had a problem.

If I was in your situation, I'd go with the 7R. Like I said before, respect your limits and take it SLOW, and you'll do fine.

One more reason to go with the the ZX-7R - IMO, it is flat out, the best-looking bike on the planet.

------------------
Hey officer, wanna race????
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I think $5000 is a little high but you said he would deal. I wouldn't worry so much about it having that much more power than the ZX 6R(or F4). The ZX 7R doesn't have all that much more power. It has more but the little bit of extra weight will negate some of that and make it feel more controlable. The added weight can sometimes make a bike feel a bit more stable in street riding anyway. Reliability shouldn't be a major issue. That is a relatively old design and has proven to quite reliable. Another advantage to the ZX 7R is the amount of aftermarket stuff avail. You can't go wrong with either of the 3 bikes you mentioned.

Keep in mind that the 750 will be quite a bit more on insurance. I'm not sure how much in your location, maybe something you can handle. The 750 will be around $4000 less than the new bikes your looking at. That pays for a lot of insurance.

If you ride alot of tight twisties then you would probably enjoy the 600s more. Much easier to ride fast in the tight stuff.

I'm not sure how big you are but that can also be a consideration for the bigger bike. That would be something you could tell in the showroom since all of the bikes mentioned have plenty of power for big guys too.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys for the help. This was the type of informative discussion I was hoping for. Please keep the info coming.

By the way I'm 5'9" and 185. I am not very tall but I pretty strong if that makes any difference.

Oh one other thing. Where can I get pics of older bikes like the 1996 ZX-7r and others.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokin' Joe (edited July 31, 2000).]
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 12:23 PM

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smokin' Joe:
Oh one other thing. Where can I get pics of older bikes like the 1996 ZX-7r and others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the 7R's looks have remained pretty much the same since it came out. As for the other bikes you mentioned, go to Yahoo or Lycos or some other search engine and type in something like "1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R" or something like that. You should find some pics.

As for which bike to get - in your situation, you have to consider insurance and other costs, and more importantly, the type of riding you will be doing. While on this subject, what kind of riding will you be doing? - city, suburbs, highway, twisties, a combination? Let us know and we might be able to help you narrow down your choices.

Whatever you get, don't just get it because it has more power or better handling than the others - buy something that you think looks good - otherwise, you might end up looking out your window at your bike, not wanting to ride it because you don't like the way it looks. Most Honda owners know this feeling.

------------------
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 12:48 PM

I just sold my 96 ZX7R about two months ago for $6,400 it had 8,000 miles on it.. I dissagree with the guy saying $5,000 being too hight for it. unless its not in perfect condition....the retail for the bike is somewhere around $7,000........ I really Liked the bike. I used to have a Zx6 before it and would never recommend a 600 cc bike for anyone......not enough power...I really liked the size of the rear tire...it comes with a 190 wich make the bike look meaner.....And I agree the ZX7R is one of the best looking and best built bikes out there........I have a Y2k R1 now.......this bike has tons of power but I feel is not built as good as my old ZX7R. And everyone I know with a suzuki has somekind of tranny problem....who knows......I might just be partial to Kawasaki.....but I do like my new R1 too.............

------------------
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 12:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luis:
who knows......I might just be partial to Kawasaki<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this guy.

------------------
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2000, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Lots of good posts here guys and I appreciate it.

I would be doing mostly combination riding. Mostly in the burbs but the city and highway will come in to play. new Orleans is not a place where you can go canyon carving.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode