ZR-7 Fuel Tap question.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2000, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Hi-

I just brought home my new ZR this evening. One thing the dealer forgot to mention when we were going over the bike was the proper position of the fuel tap for "on" and "res". Should the longer part of the tap handle be covering the "on" to indicate the fuel is on, or should the shorter parter of the tap be pointing to "on".(there's no arrow) The owner's manual confused me even more as according to it, I rode the 70 miles home tonight in what would have been the "res" postion. I think. I'm just trying to figure out who's right, the hard-to-see picture in the manual, or the dealership.

I know it's kind of a silly question, but if anyone out there knows, I'd appreciate it if you could set me straight. Of course, I could just leave it in one position and run it empty to see what happens....

Thanks-

'cane

BTW- I am amazed at how easily it steers- very light feeling, I like it!

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2000, 03:18 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hurricane:
Should the longer part of the tap handle be covering the "on" to indicate the fuel is on, or should the shorter parter of the tap be pointing to "on".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'cane, the latter. Glad you like the bike!

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2000, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Pete-

Thanks for the help! Actually, though- it's the former.

I just looked at my co worker's ZRX1100 and for his to be "on" the longer part part of the tap handle covers the "on" stamp. And a guy on the ZR_Riders newsgroup just posted the same.

Seems kind of weird- but hey, as long as I can keep gas getting to the carbs...

And yes, the bike is great, very smooth and easy to handle. Really comfortable. I just can't wait till I can rev it above 4000 rpm! I can feel the power really coming on- but I just have to short shift it to keep the revs down. Oh well- only 420 more miles of that to go.

Sell that VFR yet?

'cane

------------------

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 05:19 AM

Thumbs up

Sorry I didn't catch this question sooner Hurricane. Yes, I can confirm that the "ear" or "extension" of the fuel valve has to extend over the desired setting.

------------------
"Enjoy the ride!"

Dan M.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 07:42 AM
Pete

Cane, sorry for speaking out of turn. I would've bet my next paycheck that I was right. It worked that way of every bike I ever rode, but none of them were Kawi. Lesson learned.

No, unfortunately, I have had no "real" interest in the VFR yet. It's starting to irritate me, as I am soooo ready for something new.

Keep enjoying that new bike!!!

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 11:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
This would not be a problem if you had bought the damn SV.

Just kidding. Hope the bike is a lot of fun. Good luck and enjoy.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

RCjohn-

What? The Honda forumites kicked you out?

Just kidding- thanks- so far it's great. I just want to rack up some more miles to get past the initial service. Then I can rev it to a whopping 6000 rpm for another 500 miles. Yeehaw!

'cane

------------------
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 01:54 AM
Umbrella girl chaser

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hurricane:
I just want to rack up some more miles to get past the initial service. Then I can rev it to a whopping 6000 rpm for another 500 miles. Yeehaw!

'cane

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you serious, that bike has over 1000mi. break-in? Holy Kaw!!! That really sucks huh. Do what I did, find a group to ride with and crank off 400 miles in one twisty, adrenaline filled day. Break-in blues cured.

------------------
Clark
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Clark-

Yep. 1000 mile break in when it's all said and done. 0-500 miles nothing over 4000 rpm 500-1000 miles nothing over 6000 rpm. So says the little sticker on the tach. I'm just a bit under the 500 mile mark- need to call and get the first service scheduled. Yeah- it kinda blows, but my friend's ZRX1100 has the same break in caution sticker, and that's a completely different motor!

I've been pretty good about not letting it get much past 4000 rpm for these first 500 miles, although after the break-in service and I know everything's tight, it's gonna be really hard to obey that next rpm limit.

Anyway- it's probably worth the bit of aggravation now for the peace of mind that the motor was broken in "right".

'cane

------------------
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

You got it 'cane! Break it in right and she will treat you right for a long time to come. Ride her like a cheap whore (or even an expensive one ) and she'll treat you like one too (you payed your money, you had your short ride, now get off me!)....LOL!

(I can't believe I actually just said this... )

------------------
"Enjoy the ride!"

Dan M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode