Your thoughts on price. Please! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2000, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm lookig at a 98 ZX7R. There is damage on the bottom of the lower fairings(think it's because he brought it in on a truck). One of the sides is broken off and the other side is cracked(it'll have to come off). It's the little section that runs under the pipes. There is scratches on the stickers and the turn signal isn't straight. No damage on the steering stops so I don't think it's been wrecked. I think it had a soft fall so to speak. Roughly 10k on odometer, Miles are not important(9R engine will fit just nicely). No mods I know of. The dealer is asking $6,995.00. He said he'd cut $500 off for the fairings. I'm thinking the bike is worth somewhere around $5,000.00. It's been sold like 4 times now but nobody can get financed. I'm thinking of waiting until winter and if it's still there making an offer.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 04:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1fastchick
that seems high for a bike with 10k miles and two yrs old. And all banged up for another $1k you can get a brand new 2000 ZX-6R.

------------------
My Speed World
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 06:22 AM

The value of the bike is probably pretty close, IN GOOD SHAPE. You will spend upwards of $1200.00 to replace the bodywork. I would wait until he came off the price!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 06:55 AM

The book value for my '99 ZX-6R is 5,000.. It has never been dropped, not one scratch, and only has 4,000 miles on it... Soooo.. I think that's a little high! Save up and get what you really want! I'm in the process of saving for a new ZX-9R now! Good luck!
B.t.w. DEALERS SUCK!! they are all blood thirsty asses... (sorry.. I slipped!!)
------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited July 09, 2000).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2000, 06:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i'd wait for another zx7r to come along. that's a lot of money for that bike. 5000 could buy you a 96 in great shape (not mention a nicer paint scheme) and 6995 could buy you a near perfect 98 maybe even break a weak owner of 99.

another small suggestion, since kawi won't sell you a 9r motor, you'll have you buy a used one. which means it could have come from who knows what. an old race bike, a stolen bike, etc. and lord knows they all have 2000 miles on them. for the money you'll spend a '2000 miles, old man-owned zx9 motor' maybe a big-bore kit, and head work would be a better idea.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

[This message has been edited by cbrf2boy (edited July 09, 2000).]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 04:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I agree with the others. That is way too much money.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 03:39 PM
neo

Janman,

As you probably know, I recently bought a 98 ZX7R (as you're trying to.) This particular Kaw had the splash I was looking for and I was fortunate to have found one near where I live. I saw it sitting outside of a dealership and made an offer to the guy. He had asked a firm 6800, but I was able to talk him to 6650. As far as the exterior was concerned, it was in excellent condition. No visible scratches, let alone cracks! Approx. 5700 miles. The only thing (if you've been following my thread in a recent posting here) is of a possible problem with it's tendency to steer to the right; depending on the outcome of the findings, the sale could have been a good or bad deal. Let's hope it is minor. In any case, I talked to the guy and he had mentioned that he would cover if it's beyond a $200 fix. If you don't already know, you can check out bike values by going to www.nadaguides.com. I have inserted here, the values of a 98 ZX7R for your convenience.
Appraisal Report
Motorcycles
Consumer Edition
July 10, 2000

KAWASAKI
9950 JERONIMO RD, IRVINE, CA 92718-2016

Road/Street
Model:
ZX750P3 NINJA ZX-7R

Piston Displacement (CCs): 748
Stroke: 4 Cylinders: 4 Speeds: 6

Dry Weight: 448

Low Retail: $4,860

Average Retail:
$6,395

High Retail:
$6,910

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling prices. Trade-in and loan values are
confidential for our Dealers and industry base subscribers. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers,
and are generally lower than values shown.

Low Retail Value low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and
blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe
running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots.

Average Retail Value An average retail unit should be clean without obvious defects. All rubber and
cables should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. All lights and switches
should work properly. The mileage should be within or slightly higher than the average range. This unit should
also pass any emission inspection.

High Retail Value A high retail unit should look like new. All equipment should function properly. The paint
should match and have a high gloss. Tires should appear new and cables should be clean with minimal wear.
Engine should start quickly and run smoothly. There should be no leaks and the mileage should be at or below
an acceptable range for the model year.

Good luck!

--neo

------------------
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2000, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I saw another one today. It was a 96 and had 15,000 k on it and it fell over. He was asking $5,500.00 for his. Maybe I need to move or something. I like Kawi's but mercy me. Guess I'll keep looking. If I look long enough maybe they'll come out with the NEW and IMPROVED 7R.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JANMAN (edited July 11, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode