Hi, I'm new...and I have a problem with my Ninja 250R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new...and I have a problem with my Ninja 250R

I am a new rider and also someone who has never driven stick before, but I seem to be getting along very well with the brand new Ninja 2006 I bought just 3 days ago! I've been able to take it out around my neighborhood, and seem to have learned how to upshift/downshift very quickly, which leaves me impressed with myself.

Now here's my problem:

Every once in a while, I'll forget to hold the clutch lever all the way down at a stop sign, and I'll stall the bike while in 1st gear. The ninja has a positive neutral finder, but I can never get the shift pedal to click back to neutral. And everytime I try to start the bike in 1st gear, it'll lurch forward, sputter out, and die, no matter how much gas I give. Both times this happened, my neighbor came out and simply rocked the bike forward and back while toggling the pedal, and it worked- the neutral light came on, and I was able to shift into first and get going again.

WHy is this happening? What am I doing wrong? Is it normal to have to rock the bike like that to free it into Neutral?

Please help a noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 AM

Generally you want to get your down-shifting done before coming to a stop at a stop light. Most bikes will shift easier in the lower gears while the bike is moving which is why your neighbor rocked the bike forward and backward.

Bob
1997 VFR 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bobio
Generally you want to get your down-shifting done before coming to a stop at a stop light. Most bikes will shift easier in the lower gears while the bike is moving which is why your neighbor rocked the bike forward and backward.
I still don't understand why I couldn't click up to Neutral though...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibblets
I still don't understand why I couldn't click up to Neutral though...
Next time it happens, try moving the bike a bit forward or backward and try it. Again, shifting is going to almost always be easier even into neutral when the bike is moving.

Bob
1997 VFR 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 AM

Transmission

Yes, as mentioned before, get your downshifting done before coming to a stop. If you have problems, just move the bike a bit.

Brand new motorcycle transmissions are almost always notchy and finicky at first. Once they break in, they loosen up considerably and become much easier to operate.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok. Just three more questions for now:

1. Should I always downshift to 1st gear when I come to a full stop? Or is it OK to downshift only to 2nd or 3rd?

2. What gear is best for climbing steep hills?

3. Will rocking the bike back and forth to get to Neutral hurt my engine/wheels/etc.?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Quote:

1. Should I always downshift to 1st gear when I come to a full stop? Or is it OK to downshift only to 2nd or 3rd?

3. Will rocking the bike back and forth to get to Neutral hurt my engine/wheels/etc.?
1. Yes that is best since that gets you ready to restart again. Bikes don't like to take off in anything other than first(there are exceptions of course).

2. 1st but depends on how steep the hill is and how fast you want to drive up it.

3. No it won't hurt it. The purpose of rocking the bike is primarily to relive the tension that is on the gears that are meshed together. Try in your car to park on a incline and leave it in gear before putting on the parking break and compare how hard it is to get the vehicle out of gear as compared to doing the same thing when it was done on even ground.

This problem will lesson as the bike gets some wear.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.

Last edited by RCjohn; 06-29-2006 at 06:45 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:

1. I generally downshift to 1st so I don't have to fiddle with shifting if the light catches me off guard. The last thing you want to do at a stop light is fiddle with trying to change gears while their are anxious cages behind you when the light goes green. Occaisionally I will shift down to neutral if I need to take both hands off the bars for some reason.

2. Just listen to the motor, you will get used to what gear keeps it in the best rpm range. For my VFR I generally cruise in the 4500-5500 RPM range and I just shift into whatever gear keeps me there.

3. No, rocking the bike at a light to get it into gear is not going to mess anything up but, it is best again to downshift before you get to the light so you don't have to do that. You really don't want to have to sit there when the light turns green with traffic behind you trying to get the bike in gear.

Bob
1997 VFR 750

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

1 last question:

If I don't have a garage, is it ok to store my motorcycle in a furnished basement? Or even in the den? It hurts to see it outside under a tarp in the rain...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
1 last question:

If I don't have a garage, is it ok to store my motorcycle in a furnished basement? Or even in the den? It hurts to see it outside under a tarp in the rain...
Can't really answer that one for ya. As much as I love my bike, I don't think I would bring it inside the house. I do have a garage though.

Bob
1997 VFR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode