Charging or replacing battery (05 ZX-6R) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Loud412
Charging or replacing battery (05 ZX-6R)

What's involved with getting to the battery to either replace it or recharge it. I went to take my bike out for ride on the first day that I thought was nice enough for a ride, and I go to start the thing and al I hear is a ticking sound coming from the starter. The battery has enough juice to power the cluster, fuel pump, computer and lights but not enough to crank the motor I gues. I had the bike stored in the garage all winter and was unable to start it at any point cause people kept piling shit in front of it. So i need to either rechanrge or replace my battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
If your bike is anything like most, its simply a matter of tacking off the riders seat. My bike has lock under the passenger seat to release that one and then a release for the front. The battery at this point is completly accessable. It should just need a charge. If you have a charger just connect it up and start charging. Most chargers even have a starter option so you can just start right off of the charger and go riding. The distributer should charge up the battery just about completly in about an hour. If you need more details about getting to the battery either check you MOM or, if you dont have one, get a Haynes manual for your bike. I use mine quite a bit.

Good luck,
Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM

I would highly suggest that you put in a bit of money like around $35.00 & purchase a Battery Tender, true it is a TRADE NAME, though it is probably the best on the market since around the early 80s. Only charges with 1.25amps which is ideal for small batteries like we have on our bikes. It has two idiot lights & will start of reading RED meaning it is on Charge then once charged properly the red light is dropped & on comes the GREEN light saying the charger is on STORAGE meaning it is not charging, yet will start up on its own once the battery drops in full charge.

You can put the bike away & just hook up the Battery Tender to it all winter & come Spring just disconect & all should be ready. Still that would be with a non-servicable battery or jell battery while a normal battery has to be watched for the level of fluid & sometimes tilled up during the 3 or 6 months of storage.

I have my three sportbikes hooked up to said chargers & have done this for the past 3 or 5 yrs.

Also in the hot days of the summer & with short runs, continual starting, & the heat the poor battery suffers as the most drain is when starting SO use the BT to again keep up the battery. Fact is I advise ALL that have a m/c with an electronic starting system should have a BT.

Problem with some commercial charges is that they are with 2, 4 , 6, 8 or even more amps & that is pure 'ell to a small battery so reason BT only has 1.25 amps for SMALL batteries on the various things like riding lawnmores & who knows what else PLUS our m/cs.

Lastly if you battery is very low on the fluid, before you try to charge it up then best to raise the fluid level by using distilled water.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Cool sounds like that battery tennder thing is a worth while investment for any motorcyclist. But I stil need to know where my battery is. From what the text and illistrations in the owners manual say ins under the gas tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Under the tank sounds strange but could be. Try taking off the seats to see if there is a bolt or something that holds the back of the tank on and then the tank might just hinge up, atleast my bike does. I'm surprised your MOM doesn't go over the step by steps on how to get to it. Battery tenders are also very nice, Ive been going through hell with my bike over the last 4 days only to figure out that the battery was going dead

Sepias

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM

Is there not a Motorcycle Owners Manual of the bike for that is where the answer will be? In most cases the fuses are there as well & that is usually easy to reach like under the saddle of the bike & close to the rear end of the fuel tank.

Mind you it is probably answered without any price if you make a phone call to a Kwacker dealer.

At the same m/c shop they probably have Clymers or Haynes manuals on the very make, model & year of your bike for other questionable matters to even servicing the bike when it comes to working on it.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well the positive terminal for the battery was under the gas tank, the negative terminal was under the seat. Bought one of those Batery Tenders today and hooked up the wire that stays atached. Let it charge for about 2 hours whent out to see what was up and the bike started right up. Now im gonna hook the thing up every time I get through riding so that this doesnt happen again. Thanks for all your help guys.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM

Glad to hear its working. Enjoy riding and be safe!

Sepias

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 AM

Glad to see someone else finally put out a bit of money that will give them trouble free yrs with their batteries or starting problems due to the battery. I hope you have looked at the fluid level in the battery, for if it is low the battery will have a short life.

Unfortunately only those that come down to the Kwacker part & decide to take a look at said thread & posts will be the ones to actually read & follow up on the results.

Good chance most will not & the same will be for other Kwacker owners that only go for the main descussions.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-15-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode