kaw - vulcan en500 - 1996 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

kaw - vulcan en500 - 1996

Hi to all! I just joined up, so this is a first post...if it's already addressed please just tell me where it might be archived.....

here goes......I got such a sweet deal on a 96 vulcan en500 that i couldn't refuse ($200) for a cosmetically perfect, low mileage scooter.
Problem......the bike had been sitting in a garage for three-four years....not started, ridden...nothing. It wouldn't start, though it would turn over. Seemed gas had just gotten old and gummed up carbs. I took the air cleaner off...and sprayed soem starter fluid inside the air box and she fired right up. Then took off carbs and cleaned them best I could.......still no fire except with starter fluid. Then a friend took the carbs to the local BMW bike shop. I got 'em back....installed...the bike started and ran great for about 50 miles. The next day I went to start it up...it started but immediately flooded. I didn't notice how much gas was running into the air box....so on the next attempt to start she backfired and caught on fire. I got the fire out quickly with only some damage to the side of the seat. Now upon turning on the gas at the petcock.....gasoline runs into the carbs, airbox, out the overflow......the whole tank of gas can drain out in a couple minutes.
Hence I took the carbs to another bike shop. Owner thought the float needles were worn and scored....so we replaced them....didn't help at all....gas just gushes through the carbs.
Bike went to a third shop.....Kawasaki shop........now this estimate was for just under $1000.....replacing most everything except the muffler bearings.
I can't afford this option.........but am at a loss as to what to do now. One friend suggested just replacing both carbs with new ones.......but again expensive..................sooooooooooooooo...
has anybody had similar problems.....and am I missing something?

I apologize for such a long post from a "newbie"...but wanted to be as specific as i can. I've had numerous street and dirt bikes over the years.....so i'm not quite stupid...but niether am i a mechanic.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
If you want...you can email me private at [email protected]

p.s. I have seen some en500 carbs on ebay....but fear they might be for sale because of the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:03 AM

Sorry, mate, can't help you at all. Just wanted to say, "Welcome to SBW!"

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Not an expert...but

First, check proper installation of the carbs to the bike

Then check to make sure the carbs were put back together correctly. Odds are all that is good.

My best guess without looking at it is that they are just shot from sitting so long and that they are going to need replaced. Good Luck and welcome to SBW!

"Are you a Leader?" Look behind you. If no one is there, you are only taking a walk!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Vulcan death grip carbs

Check out some motorcycle salvage yards online for a set of carbs for your bike. They are usually completely cleaned and rebuilt. (when you contact them, make sure this is the case) With a trade of your old carbs, you should be able to pick up a set for $200 or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode