Yo, Vash. Gotta Question. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Ice
Registered User
 
Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MA,USA
Posts: 101
Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

Well, I slowslided my 636 mid-summer. I didn't call insurance. I figured I would just get the plastic buffed and everything painted matte black which I wanted to do originally. Now, I may want to call insurance.


Here's the damage;broken mirror, snapped shifter and peg(already replaced) rashed nose cowel, front mud guard, left mid and lower fairing, stator cover, tail cowl. Right blinkers are fine left blinkers are a little sketchy(electrically). Horn doesn't work. Tiny ding in the frame. Mechanically the bike is sound.

I don't want the thing to get totalled I just want to get a check for 2500 to 3000. What do you think? How much money in damage and what do you think the insurance company would do? Thanks for any help.
Ice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:53 AM
S370HSSV 0773H
 
spicersh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Terrible Hole, IN
Posts: 7,437
Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
From looking at Kelly Blue Book and the Nada Guides (for an 04, 05's were not on there yet), the value of the bike is between about $4500-$6600. All the crystal balls on the planet can't predict what your insurance company will say it's worth. Anyway, the insurance company will have rules for when they total a bike. For example, if the cost to repair is 75% of the value of the vehicle, they'll just total it. I'm not sure if 75% is right or not, but you get the idea. Also since you lowsided it (you're at fault) they will probably raise your rates (it's not like someone hit you). Finally, I don't even know if you can get insurance involved at this point, there may be limits on how long you have to file a claim, but that is pure speculation. Defrauding the insurance company by fudging the date of the accident would probably not be a good idea either.

I'd say your best bet is to get it back into working order on your own.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
spicersh is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
Call you insurance and ask them a hypothetical question. Dont even give them you name, just tell them you are one of their customers. I see no reason why they wouldnt write you a check for less than the damage involved. As for being totalled, I wouldnt worry about it.
I've had a 8k bike suffer $7.5k of damage (1006 miles after I bought it). Of course they wanted to total it, but I said that I'd rather fix it. They looked at me funny, but wrote a check.

The key is, be there when the adjuster comes to take his notes. Ask him not to write anything about the dink in the frame, since that will total the bike. If you really want to do your homework, go to ronayers, or bike bandit and find the part number and price of each piece thats hurt, total them up, and print it out. I wouldnt go off showing those figures to the adjuster just yet. Instead, call your local dealer and ask him for a quote on all the parts, it will likely be higher than ronayers. Show that quote to the adjuster, couse I'm sure you want as much money out of the deal as you can get.

One thing you really want to look into, is the source of all those electrical glitches. Sounds like you might have an exposed cable rubbing together. Make sure its not something serious, becouse electrical problems are a pain to fix, and can get really expansive if you gotta replace one of those black boxes with wires sticking out of them.

Good luck.




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
From looking at Kelly Blue Book and the Nada Guides (for an 04, 05's were not on there yet), the value of the bike is between about $4500-$6600. All the crystal balls on the planet can't predict what your insurance company will say it's worth. Anyway, the insurance company will have rules for when they total a bike. For example, if the cost to repair is 75% of the value of the vehicle, they'll just total it. I'm not sure if 75% is right or not, but you get the idea. Also since you lowsided it (you're at fault) they will probably raise your rates (it's not like someone hit you). Finally, I don't even know if you can get insurance involved at this point, there may be limits on how long you have to file a claim, but that is pure speculation. Defrauding the insurance company by fudging the date of the accident would probably not be a good idea either.

I'd say your best bet is to get it back into working order on your own.
It really depends on his insurance company. I've known people who files claims over a year after the accident. Since the bike is fairly new, the insurance is unlikely to want to total it. But it just depends.. if the adjuster is an asshole you might be walking away with no bike and a $500 check for your trouble. Whatever you do, remember that those are negotiations, so be agressive, but not rude. Dont let them walk all over you, but remember that you might need them later on down the line.




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered User
 
ZX6R1033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Myers, FL USA, 33916
Posts: 2,890
Send a message via AIM to ZX6R1033
Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
Well, I slowslided my 636 mid-summer. I didn't call insurance. I figured I would just get the plastic buffed and everything painted matte black which I wanted to do originally. Now, I may want to call insurance.


Here's the damage;broken mirror, snapped shifter and peg(already replaced) rashed nose cowel, front mud guard, left mid and lower fairing, stator cover, tail cowl. Right blinkers are fine left blinkers are a little sketchy(electrically). Horn doesn't work. Tiny ding in the frame. Mechanically the bike is sound.

I don't want the thing to get totalled I just want to get a check for 2500 to 3000. What do you think? How much money in damage and what do you think the insurance company would do? Thanks for any help.


Everyone always asks vash... I often wonder if the only reason this happens is because vash is a post-whore.



The damage you are describing is exactly what my bike looked like. If you call the INS company, they will total it. I fixed mine for $1,800... which included a Devil high-exit exhaust.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ZX6R1033 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
I'm just too nice of a guy..
Quote:
36040-0016-724 COVER-TAIL P.M.RED
$241.64
14031-0032 COVER-GENERATOR
$95.16
55028-0027-724 COWLING UPP P.M.RED
$367.91
55028-0028-724 COWLING CNT LH P.M.RE
$151.96
56001-0039 MIRROR-ASSY LH
$67.76
55028-0030-8J COWLING LWR LH F.S.BL
$164.28
35004-0034-724 FENDER-FRONT P.M.RED
$84.58

Subtotal $1,173.29
Standard Shipping $48.00
Total $1,221.29
This is from ron ayers, I had no idea what color your bike was, so I picked red, since its my favorite. Its just the last 3 digits of the part number. I didnt include the horn couse I doubt its broken, or the shifter since you already fixed it. So you are looking at around $1500 in parts to get your bike looking new. Worse case scenario there might be $2k worth of damage including labor. I doubt they will total your bike over that.

As for your insurance rates rising... well thats a chance you'll have to take... you could try to convince them you low sided to avoid a deer or something like that, in which case its covered under comprehensive and not collision (thus your rates wont go up) but I dont know if they'll buy it.




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered User
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sweetwater, TX, 79556
Posts: 8,798
Re: Re: Yo, Vash. Gotta Question.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX6R1033
Everyone always asks vash... I often wonder if the only reason this happens is because vash is a post-whore.
Whats with all the hostility bro?




-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vash is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 AM
S370HSSV 0773H
 
spicersh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Terrible Hole, IN
Posts: 7,437
Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Another thing to look at is your deductable. They may tell you you'll get $2000 or whatever, but if you have a $500 deductable (or whatever) they'll take that out of the check, leaving you with less than you thought.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
spicersh is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Registered User
 
Eskimoe663's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Naples, FL USA 34120
Posts: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to Eskimoe663
One thing to look into is how much you owe on the bike. If they total the bike because of the dent in the frame you can buy it back from them for a very good price. You won't get any money out of the deal because they pay off the bike but you get it cheap. Since you know it's repairable that might be the way to go. You buy it back for $1500 and repair it for $1200 or you pay your remaining balance of $6000. I know what I would do. I had a GSXR600 and bought it back for $1300, now it's a paid off streetfighter. I no longer owe $5200.

When the bubble has broken, please put down the milkbone and step away from the puppy.
Eskimoe663 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
S370HSSV 0773H
 
spicersh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Terrible Hole, IN
Posts: 7,437
Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Eskimoe663
One thing to look into is how much you owe on the bike. If they total the bike because of the dent in the frame you can buy it back from them for a very good price. You won't get any money out of the deal because they pay off the bike but you get it cheap. Since you know it's repairable that might be the way to go. You buy it back for $1500 and repair it for $1200 or you pay your remaining balance of $6000. I know what I would do. I had a GSXR600 and bought it back for $1300, now it's a paid off streetfighter. I no longer owe $5200.
Were there major hassles in registering a bike with a salvage or re-built title?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
spicersh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome