Need help with a bike problem! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Need help with a bike problem!

I own a 2004 ZX-6R.

OK I changed my oil about a two weeks ago. I put in castrol full synthetic. I hadn't rode the bike with the new oil until I went to the track. On the way out to the track it seemed like it was running fine. I would roll on the throttle and it seemed like it was slipping a little but no big deal. Well the bike ran fine at the track. Then on the way home I noticed that in second gear the bike would loose power and then take off again. Well it only happened like twice, so I didn't think anything of it. Well the next day I took the bike out and it started doing it again. This time it was bad. I'd open the throttle and the bike would start to take off them BAM lose of power then BAM power would kick back in. It did this like 10 times in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. I turned the bike around and headed home. Well it took me two minutes to get back on post so I decided to do a loop around the post to see if it was still having problems. Well it seemed like after the bike got warmed up it was running fine. I still didn't want to take any chances so I came back home and parked the bike. The following day I took the bike out again and rolled on the throttle and noticed that it was only doing this **** when I hit 9K rpm's. The bike would hit 9K and loose power until it hit 8K then it would kick back in. So at this point I took the bike home and put it up on my stands. I put the bike in neutral and revved it. It went all the way to the limiter. I put the bike in gear and held the clutch in and revved it. As soon as it got to 9K it cut out. It did this in every gear clutch in or out.

What the hell is going on with this bike? I'm stationed in Germany so I can't just take it to my local shop, so all the help I can get would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:27 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem.
When you hit 9k rpm, in any gear, the bike cuts out? Like the ignition cuts out?

At first I thought you were talking about your clutch slipping, but if its doing it up on the stands, it doesnt sound like the clutch has anything to do with it..

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I'm not sure I understand the problem.
When you hit 9k rpm, in any gear, the bike cuts out? Like the ignition cuts out?

At first I thought you were talking about your clutch slipping, but if its doing it up on the stands, it doesnt sound like the clutch has anything to do with it..
Ya the ignititon cuts out! What do you think.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 AM

Check your battery terminals.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 AM

Sounds like a rectifier/voltage regulator problem

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
Check your battery terminals.
You don't say!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:03 PM

Seriously, check those terminals...Poor quality fuel, water in the tank, a bad sidestand switch, or a weak sidestand spring can also cause problems like this...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I could understand if this happen threwout the RPM range but it only happens when I hit 9K RPM's. I think my ECM is done down the shiter! That's going to cost me $800!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marsolais
You don't say!
Yes I do say. I was totaly serious. If there is a bad connection to your battery the ignition/injector systems are not getting the current required at the higher RPMs. It is an easy check. If it is your ECM you might think about getting a power commander.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
Yes I do say. I was totaly serious. If there is a bad connection to your battery the ignition/injector systems are not getting the current required at the higher RPMs. It is an easy check. If it is your ECM you might think about getting a power commander.
Since the PC doesnt replace the ECM, but rather ties in line, I dont think it will solve the problem.. could be wrong...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode