gearing zx9's out there? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
gearing zx9's out there?

I need to replace my chain and while I am shopping I was going to check with you all about gearing. Any do any gearing mods to a similar bike? I would like to hear feed back. What they did and if it was too agressive or not agressive enough. Top end isn't really improtant to me... as long as I can still hit 150 I am sure that is enough. I just dont want to be f'in with engine braking all the time. Ya know gearing it so short that every time I let off the throttle it doesn't want to coast free..... Hope you understand what I am trying to say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:17 PM

I regeared my z1k (The engine is a rebored zx9). Went with a -1 front +2 rear. Overall I would say the mod was worthless. The bike doesnt accelerate any faster (also it does feel like it), abit easier to wheelie of the throttle, and top speed was in the 150's.
Higher rev's at highway speed led to more vibes thru the bars, and engine braking was bad enough that I regularly locked my rear tire downshifting agressivly.
I was followed by a friend in a mustang gt, I was going about 40-50 and when it came time to turn I downshifted instead of braking. And damn near got rear ended.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

damn... thanks for the info. Do you know what the stock gearing was? I am curious to see what the current sprockes are on it if you went -1 +2 something like 16-47?

Thanks!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:29 AM

The stock front was 16, I went to a 15. The back was in the 40's. I think 44 but I could be wrong. I'll look it up

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:33 AM

Ok the z1k uses a 16 front and a 42 rear stock.
The zx9 is a 16 front 41 rear stock.

Which seems really odd. Where does the zx9 top out at? I figure it would be 184-186, which is higher than the z1k, yet it uses lower gearing...

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

I have never seen above 174ish on the speedo, but who knows how reliable that is over 100mph. Who really needs more than 150 anyway? My goal is to have great acceleration from 40mph-100mph. The only thing that sucks is the engine braking issue. I really don't want to be f-in with that all the time. I hate down shifting and having wheel chatter. I guess I could upgrade to those fancy clutch systems that are on the new bikes. Or just buy a new bike....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:40 AM

Debunk the MYTH! sprockets wont do anything for your acceleration. you could get better times for a certain test (1/4mile) by getting a ration that will allow you to shift less, but thats about it. You want to accelerate faster? get more power out of the engine, or loose a few pounds on the bike or yourself. There is no magic sprocket fix...

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I was figuring that if I geared it differently I could shorten the gears keeping the rpm's higher staying in the higher torqe and hp curves creating quicker accereration. Maybe I am wrong? I have upgraded jetting, exhaust, lost 50lbs off myself..lol.... and had it on a dyno it is cranking out 147hp. The hp curve is a bit funky, it creates all it's power between 8.5-11.5rpm. My goal was to maximize the ride time in these bands when accelerating.

What do you think?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:55 AM

That plan will work. Buts no different than simply downshifting.
What you will essentially be doing (in an overly simplified sort of way) is giving yourself a new gear below 1st, and having your second for 1st and so on and so on and no 6th gear.
It take 30miliseconds to shift a gear, and you'll save yourself the $150 for sprockets (which wont last as long), increased wear on your chain, and keep your top end.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

interesting way to put it..... I will have to do more research I guess. I need a new chain, even thought the rear sprocket looks fine I like to do the whole set at once. Do you know any good places to shop for sprockets and chain kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode