Do I HAVE to take it in at 600 miles? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 03:24 PM

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 explains all the details. A Dealer cannot void a warranty if you do your own maintenance. They can require verification that it was done and done correctly. Its the same act that says they can't just void your whole warranty for changing or modifying your bike. For example, if you have a aftermarket pipe on your bike, they can't automatically void the warranty on the engine. They have to show the failure was caused by the pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I've been to both "good" Kawi dealers in town here and have had half-assed work done at both. Just because the job is done doesn't mean you don't have to clean up your mess! Both times the mech's left the coolant puddled up on top of the trans to bake on. Ya know, I have YET to ride this bike without the smell of coolant permeating my nostrils. Been this way since the day I rode it off the showroom floor.

Also, the coolant leak I've taken it in for both times in the same spot is back again. I'm taking it back to get fixed AGAIN for the 3rd time next week.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
change the oil/ oil filter and check all of your fasteners to make sure they are tight, new motorcycles usually don't need anything mechanical checked for at least 7500 miles, look at the maitainance chart in the owners manual. if you take it to the dealer at 600 miles they'll change the oil and wash the bike and charge you $300 for a $20 job. just my opinion.

I started doing all of my own maintainance because I got sick of having to go back and fix what some slapdick at the dealer didn't do right the first time. It's worth learning to do your own maintainance, just be sure to check everything twice.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Quote:
Originally posted by Compstall
I've been to both "good" Kawi dealers in town here and have had half-assed work done at both. Just because the job is done doesn't mean you don't have to clean up your mess! Both times the mech's left the coolant puddled up on top of the trans to bake on. Ya know, I have YET to ride this bike without the smell of coolant permeating my nostrils. Been this way since the day I rode it off the showroom floor.

Also, the coolant leak I've taken it in for both times in the same spot is back again. I'm taking it back to get fixed AGAIN for the 3rd time next week.
I experienced a coolant leak with my z1000 shortly after i got it. It was coming out of the lower hose on the radiator. the hose clamps kawasaki use are cheap pieces of crap and they come loose from vibration, just check them after every couple of rides and you should be okay. try fitting new/better hose clamps if the problem continues.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:52 PM

iam glad i dont own a kaw and very glad i have never delt with a dealership like molebaby's . but you are rite about the warrenty act it can not be void and all you need to prove it was done are recipts when you bought the parts. I deal with this issue alot considering iam a shop foreman in a shop there are times warranty's are voided but those are extream cases. a lot of shops will put cash customers before warrenty because they get payed rite now and warrenty takes some time to pay them, i dont agree with that but alot of places do it. iam glad our service manager dosnt care if its warrenty or cust pay he scedules it as it comes in or is called.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatman
...if you take it to the dealer at 600 miles they'll change the oil and wash the bike and charge you $300 for a $20 job. just my opinion.

I started doing all of my own maintainance because I got sick of having to go back and fix what some slapdick at the dealer didn't do right the first time. It's worth learning to do your own maintainance, just be sure to check everything twice.
+1

I like doing my own work on the R1 because I know it's been done, and if I screw something up I have noone to blame but myself. It's also good because you don't have to leave the bike somewhere for a week waiting for some idiot to get around to it.

Last edited by sidewaysducati; 01-15-2006 at 05:57 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
+1

I like doing my own work on the R1 because I know it's been done, and if I screw something up I have noone to blame but myself. It's also good because you don't have to leave the bike somewhere for a week waiting for some idiot to get around to it.
If that ain't the truth! I spoke to my dealer about a leaking radiator hose while under warranty. They told me to drop the bike off, and they would look at it in about a week, and then, it would take about 3-4 business days to get the hose, and another 2-3 business days to get it installed. I told them they were nuts, paid $12, and installed it myself. They tried to refuse to sell me the hos at first. They said it would void my warranty, so I asked them if they wanted my attorney to contact them or their attorney. They gave me my hose and asked me to have a nice day.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
If that ain't the truth! I spoke to my dealer about a leaking radiator hose while under warranty. They told me to drop the bike off, and they would look at it in about a week, and then, it would take about 3-4 business days to get the hose, and another 2-3 business days to get it installed. ...

Wow. What a bunch of BS.

Glad you did it yourself. Every one of us bike owners that does our own service takes a buck out of the pockets of lying bastard dealerships.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

I do my own work on everything I own normally. It's just that when something I own is under warranty I try and milk that warranty for all it's worth while I have it.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 PM

I like to do my own work, but I did have a good dealer to go to when things needed doing that I don't have the tools or patience for.....If you need to go to a dealer, try this....

Develop a relationship with the service chief & the mechanics...When I went to the shop, we would spend a few minutes talking about the families, new bikes, whatever before I even got to why I was there. They knew me well enough to know that I was capable of performing standard maintenance.

Take the fairing off before taking your bike in. You can do it, and some shops charge $100.00 or more to remove & replace the fairing.

Don't rush them. Better to have it back right than fast...

Those are the things on your end. On their end they need to do this........

Don't make mistakes on my bike, and if you do, let me know. Don't make me find out for myself.

If they don't do it right the second time, they won't get it right the third time either. Go somewhere else.

Have the bike ready when you you say so. If you say it's gonna take a month, that's cool, but when the month goes by, I'm gonna want my bike back.

The list goes on, but the basic thing is to have a good personal relationship with the people at the shop.

A GOOD dealership is a resource worth supporting.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode