steering stabalizer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

steering stabalizer

what kind of steering stabalizer should i get for my 03 zx6r? Also is there anybody out there selling a used one or sites i can go too?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 06:56 AM

check the classified on this site and others..

i would go with a scotts rotary but they arent cheap..
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
check the classified on this site and others..

i would go with a scotts rotary but they arent cheap..
I have Scotts on both my bikes. I paid full price for the 1st but found a deal on the 2nd from a guy parting out a bike. They are easy to install, no drilling or tapping, works like dream

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:33 AM

You don't need a steering stabilizer. Save your money for good tires and rework the fork tubes by removing them and sending them to Lindemann Engineering. It will be the best money you ever spend on your bike. Forget the steering stabilizer. You will never do anything on the street to justify the expense of a Scott's damper, and the steering oscillations they are designed to reduce or prevent are not going to happen on your bike. I know some bikes need them, like the R1, but Kawasakis do not need them.

Now if it is just to look cool, you can buy a Hyper Pro. They come in colors to match your bike and they are fully adjustable.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
You don't need a steering stabilizer. Save your money for good tires and rework the fork tubes by removing them and sending them to Lindemann Engineering. It will be the best money you ever spend on your bike. Forget the steering stabilizer. You will never do anything on the street to justify the expense of a Scott's damper, and the steering oscillations they are designed to reduce or prevent are not going to happen on your bike. I know some bikes need them, like the R1, but Kawasakis do not need them.

Now if it is just to look cool, you can buy a Hyper Pro. They come in colors to match your bike and they are fully adjustable.
the hyperpros are junk! check the reviews, had a buddy who wrecked with a hyperpro and the thing wont work anymore.. I love my scotts on the 954 and my buddy wouldnt ride his 10r without one.. I plan on putting one on my 600rr which is needed from what ive heard if you are really pushing or doing wheelies all the time..
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
the hyperpros are junk! check the reviews, had a buddy who wrecked with a hyperpro and the thing wont work anymore.. I love my scotts on the 954 and my buddy wouldnt ride his 10r without one.. I plan on putting one on my 600rr which is needed from what ive heard if you are really pushing or doing wheelies all the time..
I am not endorsing one over another in terms of how they work. You can pull all the wheelies you want and a steering damper is going to do nothing for you. Who'd you talk to? A fellow squid? Right.

Scott's is a good damper for a racer. So is Hyperpro. If you damage any steering damper it should be replaced, so your comment about Hyperpro not working after it was "wrecked" (stunting I assume, right?) would apply to the Scotts as well. Pulling wheelies is stunting, and NO damper will help you do that any better, and if it is not adjusted properly it could kill you.

Soctt's is easiest to install. But it is too expensive for street use (translation: not needed, especially on a Kawasaki) and for a squid application it is totally useless. Try a frontal lobotomy.

You may be able to buy a used damper from your local race organization, from a racer with extra parts (which they all probably have extra parts). Put an ad in their newsletter or call one of the organization's officers and ask, they may be able to hook you up with a good source to buy one.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by fuster; 01-08-2005 at 10:02 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:10 PM

I'm not a racer nor a stunter but the difference i noticed on both my bikes with the Scotts when under hard acceleration and the front wheel gets very light is significant. I've not had any problems with head shake since I installed them. Both the R6 & R1 have reputations of twitchy steering and incidents of head shake and the fact I can't really use my left hand to hold on may be a factor as well. If you are experiencing problems with head shake then a steering stabilizer may work for you. Suspension work will provide more advantages than a stabilizer by increasing your bike's over all handling.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
I am not endorsing one over another in terms of how they work. You can pull all the wheelies you want and a steering damper is going to do nothing for you. Who'd you talk to? A fellow squid? Right.

Scott's is a good damper for a racer. So is Hyperpro. If you damage any steering damper it should be replaced, so your comment about Hyperpro not working after it was "wrecked" (stunting I assume, right?) would apply to the Scotts as well. Pulling wheelies is stunting, and NO damper will help you do that any better, and if it is not adjusted properly it could kill you.

Soctt's is easiest to install. But it is too expensive for street use (translation: not needed, especially on a Kawasaki) and for a squid application it is totally useless. Try a frontal lobotomy.

You may be able to buy a used damper from your local race organization, from a racer with extra parts (which they all probably have extra parts). Put an ad in their newsletter or call one of the organization's officers and ask, they may be able to hook you up with a good source to buy one.

Squid no, track days yes.. The dampners can lessen headshakes from landing wheelies.. Yes my buddy wrecked stunting but if you check scotts website it states and i quote "Even a fairly severe "lay down" will not effect our stabilizer as it's protected from most crashes. The more common telescopic dampers are damaged in even the most trivial of crashes. Even dropping your bike can damage the telescopic type."

To each his own, i wouldnt ride without one but thats just my opinion..
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

i would be using it for racing, i experienced last year on the track under hard accelerations when the front wheel gets light the steering starts to move all over the place, i feel this season as i am getting better i need a stabalizer for safety to stiffen the front end a bit, i don't stunt.

good points about scott's, because i will crash 1 day at the track, i was thinking about hyperpro, the new ones sound very good, about the adjustment on the fly ect....

but i may have to reconsider scotts, does it come with all brackets for my bike or are brackets seperate?

more feed back you'd be great

later

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

BTW my avatar is from the track 2 years ago at Grattan raceway.

this past season i averaged mid 1:30's at the track and significant front end shake going up the hill to the front straight, i want to calm it down this season.

later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode