steering stabalizer - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skydiver
about the adjustment on the fly

but i may have to reconsider scotts, does it come with all brackets for my bike or are brackets seperate?

They sell the brackets with the stabilizer.

Scotts can be adjusted on the fly as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:45 PM

Good thing about scotts is if you have mutiple bikes then you can take and just switch the stablizer itself.. You are lookin at somewhere around 400 bux for the stablizer and the mount.. I would look for a used stablizer and just pay the 120.00 bux for the mounting bracket..

how is gratten? ive heard its a good time.. plannin on makin it up there this summer sometime with trackaholics..
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

trackoholics, is a great group, i started with them and they do a good job. The Track kicks ass, i hear from everybody, if you can ride fast on Grattan, you can ride anything out there, it has all the different types of turn you can dream of. Negative camber down hill right hander, a big 180 bowl positive camber. nice long straight ect.... ect...

great track i like it alot.

the trackdays have just been posted, not that many this year, so plan early, they book up fast.

later,

i will research scotts. i haven't seen to many stabalizer's in general used for sale, if any links please help, looking for right bracket too.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by R6steve
I'm not a racer nor a stunter but the difference i noticed on both my bikes with the Scotts when under hard acceleration and the front wheel gets very light is significant. I've not had any problems with head shake since I installed them. Both the R6 & R1 have reputations of twitchy steering and incidents of head shake and the fact I can't really use my left hand to hold on may be a factor as well. If you are experiencing problems with head shake then a steering stabilizer may work for you. Suspension work will provide more advantages than a stabilizer by increasing your bike's over all handling.
I would have to agree with you here R6steve. I had the pretty bad shake in the front end untill I installed a GPR steering damper. Although, I would like to try a Scott's damper when I buy my 2005 R1. Maybe it has to do with Yamaha's light sportbikes. After all the (New) R1 is the fastest.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Try a different brand bike. You probably find you don't need a stabilizer.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fuster
Try a different brand bike. You probably find you don't need a stabilizer.
Aww Fuster there you go again tryng to convert us to the dark side (Kawasuker)
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Tryin' to git under yer skin, fella. Actually a Honda or Suzuki would do just fine too....Besides, I had a couple of Yammies and they didn't need no stinkin' steering stabilizer....I could scrape so much metal on my Venture you'd think it wuz the Fourth of Juuly, and nary a shake in that steering head...

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:55 PM

You may want to take a look at the tires you are using. Some profiles make your bike considerably more headshake prone than others.
Mismatching your tires (front and rear of different brands) can induce headshakes really easily.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:05 PM

That's a good point.

Fuster

- Rudyard Kipling
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 PM

If you are doing 'Track Days' or racing then yes I can see putting on a good steering head damper. Otherwise no need to waste the money.

A hot trotting 600 to even higher being pushed to the max on track days can be different then one being riden around town or on they hwys.

If you are trying to find used ones then why not go for the GPR as it is less in price the the Scotts.

I have a Scotts on my '00 Honda 929 though put a GBR on the '03 Honda 954 & in the 3 months I rode it in'04 it was as good for me as the Scotts on the 929.

Both Scotts & GBR have mounting brackets for various m/cs, so one can transfer their rotary damper from one bike to another without a big cost factor.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-17-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode