Opinions on early 90's ZX-7R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on early 90's ZX-7R

I'm in the market for an early nineties (91 or 92) ZX-7, but need some help in determining if this is something I want to get into vs getting a newer bike. The bikes I've seen are upwards in mileage (20-30k). Do these motors have a good reputation for long-term reliability? What kind of things should I look out for when shopping?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 02:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Kawasakis are generally very reliable. My 97 ZX-7R has upwards of 30,000 miles on it, including track miles, aggressive street miles, some stunting, and a handful of crashes.

the early ones were also very reliable. The biggest problem you will run into is parts. My friend has a couple of 91, and 92 7's, and I know he often has trouble replacing parts, particularly bodywork.

Will this be your first bike?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:41 PM

My '96 ZX 9R is approaching 20,000 miles. No problems at all. I have twiddled with nothing on it other than ignition, and when I did one of the aftermarket coils failed on the return leg of an 8000 mile trip.

Find one with low miles. Period. Do not buy one with more than 15000 miles. Not because the motors don't last but because you just never know what the total history has been. You can find low mileage early 90's ZX7's, you just may have to wait to find one.

Now, that doesn't mean you should not LOOK at the high mileage bikes. If you feel you have looked at enough of them to feel comfortable putting a value on one regardless of mileage, you could buy a higher mileage bike if it looks pristine and it is the original or maybe second owner, service records, etc.

Problem with the older ZX 7's is the same as any bike that is more than maybe 6 years old. You can't find as many aftermarket applications for it. Not as many people have them so not as many folks selling after market add ons for them.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by fuster; 01-07-2005 at 11:43 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to fzr1
Thumbs up later ninjas

I have a 92 with 16,000 miles and have had no problems i absolutely love the bike ,i have the r model and it is not only unique to look at but to ride as well.

paul b austin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 AM

you always look for the lowest milage you can find. a bike that old 15-20,000 should be expected. i have 24,000 on a 99 and have put over 63,000 on a 900rr in 5 yrs.
if the bike looks like it was maintained, and well riden.i would not automatically rule it out on year or milage.
as bikes get older it can be harder to find parts. there are alot of zx7 freaks out there so parts can be found,you just gotta look.
if its in nice shape and hes willing to part with it for 2,000 i would consider it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 01:44 AM

as far as what to look for,give the bike a good overall look.see if it has been dropped or crashed. make sure theres no frame or swingarm welds. look at chain and rear sprocket(see if he takes care of it or beats the shit out of it)the sprocket should have teeth. fork seals,tires,
ask whats been replaced,if anything.
you might want to lean towards a 96-2003 model. same bike,different paint,parts should be avaliable for awhile.best looking bodystyle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to fzr1
Talking 92 ninja zx7r

can anybody help me with a question can anybody tell me how to power thee 92 ninjas front end up ,i ve been told a wheelie cant be done on the 92 ninja due to it being front end heavy any body that has the older ninja have any tricks for me .it does do nice stoppies though.post up

paul b austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode