!help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

!help!

I don't know if anyone is going to be able to figure out with out actually being in the presence of my bike, but I'll ask anyway. Bought a 1990 EX500 from E-Bay off a guy who lives close to me. However the bike won't start(no noise at all, no dash lights). He said all it needed was new sparkplugs, air cleaner, and battery. All I've done so far was swap the battery. Put it in then tried turned the key, still no lights on on the dash..... I'm thinking maybe the guy got over on me. I did try to get him to start it before I bought it, but he couldn't. The guy was trying for like an hour with the dead battery and since he had a very good rating on e-bay I probably did the dumb thing and trusted him. Could the igniter be bad, the wiring from the battery, the fuse box? Just trying to get some idea of where to start from. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

alright i found a blown fuse in the fusable link, changed it, put in new plugs and got the engine to roll, but not start, Noticed the oil was low and changed it only pulled out maybe an 8th of quart total so I put 4qts in and still no start. Sounds alot closer to starting though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja250F18
Check the spark plugs bro, could be a huge carbon build up or hardly any gap. I'd buy new plugs and try it again. Even go as far as to buy that engine start spray to spray into the cylinders before you put the spark plug in, but don't go crazy with spray it, just a little should do the job.

Burn rubber not your soul, Ruff Riders for life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode