pre-purchase help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

pre-purchase help

Looking at an 01 zx9 w/ 6K miles and a rebuilt salvage title. It has been rebuilt by a professional outfit and has custom paint. Never had one of these before, so what should I look for? Any particular problem areas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 11:24 AM

There are no known problems that I'm aware of. My '01 9R has been flawless in 24,000+ miles.

That said, I don't think I'd ever buy a bike with a salvage title unless it was still wrecked (so I could see what was really wrong). I'm not a very trusting consumer and won't let anyone work on my bikes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to cdma2000
Don't.

cdma2k

We will teach our twisted speech to the unbelievers

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

What do you mean don't? Don't buy one period or don't buy one that's prior salvage?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cdma2000
Don't.

cdma2k
I agree. Maybe if the guy who rebuilt it has been your best friend since you were 2 years old. Otherwise, Don't. I know you think you're probably getting a good deal, and that this advice sucks. Yes, there is a chance that the bike might be great. Are you prepared to take the chance that it's not great? But I think you knew what our advice would be before you asked the question.

I've got something to say... It's better to burn out, than to fade away!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to cdma2000
Quote:
Originally posted by tailgunn
What do you mean don't? Don't buy one period or don't buy one that's prior salvage?
Contain your desire - don't buy a rebuilt bike, unless you're buying a trackbike that has Ohlins, racebody, head and valve work, etc - in short, you should know exactly what you're getting.

I was looking disinterestedly at a '00 9R in Arlington Heights, IL this last winter.

It looked OK. Price was 6299, just right at KBB. It had D207 tires, purple mica paint (factory color), stock, 460 miles.

Not quite stock. It had aftermarket pegs. It had D207s all right - date code of 17th week of 2002. No stickers on the tank warning you to break in the bike and read the owner's manual. 460 miles.

The dealer did not like me writing down the VIN. His reaction was enough- I didn't bother checking the VIN out for insurance claims or title status.

No way am I buying a bike like that - who the hell knows what really happened to it, or if the subframe will crack and fall off while I'm leaned over at 80 MPH on a guard-rail-less curve with a 1000' dropoff...

Don't do it.

cdma2k

We will teach our twisted speech to the unbelievers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Man, you guys are a buzzkill! I guess you're right though. Thanks for the honest advice. I sure am having one hell of a time finding a decent 9r in the st. louis area though. I need something with some power to pull the old wifey around. I've had her on a 9r so I know it will do it. Will a 7r? Is the hp/torque difference noticeable. I think a 6 is too small.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM

You're getting more in depth now. Is a 600 good enough? Depends. Are you only getting a bike to pull Wifey around? If so, a 600 is probably fine (dependant of course on the size, shape and weight of the 2 of your bodies). If you're a little bigger, certainly a move up to a 750 would also do. Also what is your riding experience and what type of performance are you looking for? I've always been of the opinion that if you're just starting out you should go small. Anyway, lots to think about.

I've got something to say... It's better to burn out, than to fade away!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

It's mostly for solo use, and I don't have to pretend I am Colin Edwards. I like straight line speed but don't wail through turns. My wife will ride occasionally, but together we're over 400lbs.
It will be my first modern sport bike, but I've ridden a lot of buddies bikes, so I'm capable of handling 'em. I'm currently debating on a 929 I rode 2 days ago; just can't decide if I want to part with the money. I also have found a 2000 zx7 I might look at. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode