Starting after winter storage??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Starting after winter storage???

I put my bike away a few months ago with a full tank and stabil in there. I turned the fuel off and ran it out. Now today I went in to get it going again. I turned everything on, choked it up but couldn't get it to turn over.
What I think my problem is: I never left the ignition on, I would only breifly turn it on, try to start then turn off and let it sit for a few. I had a sudden revelation that this bike has a electronic fuel pump (after my battery died)...
Well now that my battery is dead and sitting on the charger I am going to try again tomorrow. Any advice? Is my idea sound or am I just retarded? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 07:20 AM

firs of all what kind of bike to you have??? your sn makes it sound as if you have a 2001 zx6r. i have one of those and it does not have a fuel pump....it is carbeurated. it may be that your battery just went dead. i would hook it up to the charger and let it sit a bit then try. i started mine for the first time about a month ago and had to set it on the charger. cant wait to get it out....been warm here but rainy but it is suppose to be nice this weekend. let me know how the bike checks out.

later and welcome
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Asking for Dyno results is much like asking how much money someone makes. They'll tell you the amount they made for the week they worked all that overtime. Actual Dyno results are always less, sometimes much less. When you read that a particular bike hit some rather high HP figure, remember that this was probably the highest number achieved over a whole series of tests and was probably the shining example among a rather large number of like machines. Add to that a few HP to just make it sound better and a couple more to round up to the nearest even number.
Itís also rather easy to deliberately enhance the actual Dyno readings. An all gear run and a little creative shifting technique can be counted on for five or even ten more HP. I did a Dyno test on one of those Orange County Choppers a while ago and the 4th gear pull netted 107HP. The owner was really disappointed, so I suggested an all gear run with some slow shifting. He agreed and we scored 145HP. Needless to say, he threw away the 'real' test report and framed the 145. When a slow shift is made, the computer follows the resulting spike and the higher the over-rev, the higher the HP average score. Some guys want the 'real' numbers but most only want the highest number. I've even had a few ask for blank sheets so they could 'hand score' their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode