Rebuild zx6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Rebuild zx6

Just picked up a 95 zx6, and need to rebuild the motor. It spun a bearing originally. Is there anything I should watch out for when rebuilding? This will be the first kawi I'm workin on, so any advice helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 AM

The normal things.........."squish", proper bearing selection, patience and follow the specs as written.

Have a good time with it!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 12:39 PM

Probably cheaper and easier in the long run to buy a wrecked bike and swap the engine. You can sell the good parts off the wrecked bike (and perhaps the head and carbs from your bad engine) and likely come out ahead. I did this and made $750 profit after I got my new engine.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

That was my original thought, but its a rare bike to find wrecked and intact. I'm halfway through the rebuild, and everything seems to be going fine. I'm only out a couple hundred for parts, since I'm doing rings as well. Pics when its done.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 04:52 AM

Well then, good luck. I have rebuilt a couple of engines over the years (a 2.1 liter volvo boat engine, a 7 HP lawn mower engine and a Chrylser 383 V8) and it is fun to do.

Best advice I can add here is to keep everything clean. Sometimes people will make sure all the engine parts are clean and then assemble the engine with the same tools they tore it down with without ever giving any though to cleaning out the sockets etc. Sockets and wrenches can hold quite a bit of grime. Put them in the parts washer too. Dishwasher works great for tools, BTW.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Lightbulb

Make sure you use lube when putting it back together. The lube will prevent premature "scoring", "pitting", "gouging", etc. even engine failure following first start-up.

Will be awaiting pics.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Well, after 2 months of work, its running; pretty well I might add without a carb tune-- Going to get that done next week. Can't beleive the build is over. That was sure a big job and learning experience. If anyone ever has the chance, I reccomend getting a project. Pics to come.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AR4CE
Well, after 2 months of work, its running; pretty well I might add without a carb tune-- Going to get that done next week. Can't beleive the build is over. That was sure a big job and learning experience. If anyone ever has the chance, I reccomend getting a project. Pics to come.
Congrats! It's a cool feeling when they first run after a rebuild... then the oil and coolant leaks start. Hope you had no leaks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

its been running round the garage for about 4 days now; no leaks. today she gets a carb tune and new cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode