Sportbike World banner

Rebuild zx6

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AR4CE 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 95 zx6, and need to rebuild the motor. It spun a bearing originally. Is there anything I should watch out for when rebuilding? This will be the first kawi I'm workin on, so any advice helps.

#2 ·
The normal things.........."squish", proper bearing selection, patience and follow the specs as written.

Have a good time with it!

#4 ·
That was my original thought, but its a rare bike to find wrecked and intact. I'm halfway through the rebuild, and everything seems to be going fine. I'm only out a couple hundred for parts, since I'm doing rings as well. Pics when its done.

#5 ·
Well then, good luck. I have rebuilt a couple of engines over the years (a 2.1 liter volvo boat engine, a 7 HP lawn mower engine and a Chrylser 383 V8) and it is fun to do.

Best advice I can add here is to keep everything clean. Sometimes people will make sure all the engine parts are clean and then assemble the engine with the same tools they tore it down with without ever giving any though to cleaning out the sockets etc. Sockets and wrenches can hold quite a bit of grime. Put them in the parts washer too. Dishwasher works great for tools, BTW.

#6 ·
Make sure you use lube when putting it back together. The lube will prevent premature "scoring", "pitting", "gouging", etc. even engine failure following first start-up.

Will be awaiting pics.:thumb:

#7 ·
Well, after 2 months of work, its running; pretty well I might add without a carb tune-- Going to get that done next week. Can't beleive the build is over. That was sure a big job and learning experience. If anyone ever has the chance, I reccomend getting a project. Pics to come.

#8 ·
AR4CE said:
Well, after 2 months of work, its running; pretty well I might add without a carb tune-- Going to get that done next week. Can't beleive the build is over. That was sure a big job and learning experience. If anyone ever has the chance, I reccomend getting a project. Pics to come.
Congrats! It's a cool feeling when they first run after a rebuild... then the oil and coolant leaks start. Hope you had no leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.