I was in a bad accident with my ZX7R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 72
I was in a bad accident with my ZX7R

As posted by a freind on another fourm when I was still in the hospital.

Quote:
He was riding northbound on Manitou Rd, headed towards the lake, around edgemere drive, he hoisted up a wheelie, probably around 45MPH. He accelerated with one wheel in the air to about 70-75 when a gust of wind caught him, and started his bike towards the side of the road, knowing this, he quickly brought the front of the bike down. Unfortunately, the nose of the bike was headed towards the shoulder, and when the front wheel touched down, it was pointed a little to the left (he probably was trying to correct the bikes heading). What happened next is described in the SuperSport bike scene as a "tankslapper". What happens is the bike oscillates left and right, wildly out of control (and your knees hit the tank repeatedly). Junior then hit a signpost on the side of the road, and took a good fall, sliding around 150ft, without the bike.

His injuries are as follows:

Liver laceration (cut in half, should self heal.. the liver is regenerative)
Rt. kidney laceration (angio block to stop bleeding, organ may very well be saved)
Compound fracture to Rt. fibula & tibia (lower leg, may be operated on this week to insert pins/bracing)
Varios abrasion burns/cuts on Rt shoulder and arm. "road rash"

He was wearing a HJC full face helmet, a Textile (kevlar) jacket which didnt hold up as well as a leather one would have, and leather bike gloves, which saved him from getting major road rash on his hands.

If all goes well, he could possibly be out in 1-2 weeks, and should make a full recovery.



















These Images are linked for some graphic content consider yourself warnned.

http://www.rit.edu/~jmp3921/images/a...808965_330.jpg

http://www.rit.edu/~jmp3921/images/a...552325_330.jpg
AaronWilliams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,528
Those are some pretty serious injuries and I'm glad you're gonna recover from them. I'm wondering what you've learned from your accident? Will you wear both leather pants and jacket? Will you refrain from stunting on public roads?
slaintedan is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Registered User
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sportbike World
Posts: 3,052
though i am sorry to hear about your misfortune and ultimate run in with fate, i cannot give you any sympathy by how it happend. i too am curious as to what you have learned from your negative experience.

adding humor to a bad situation: i'd start by staying away from Kawasaki's.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Last edited by monkey; 12-10-2003 at 12:28 PM.
monkey is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 72
Yes I did learn my leson about trying to show off on the street and have made my mind up 80% about converting my bike to a track only bike for next year so that I can take my need for speed out in a safe closed enviroment.

PS KAWASAKIS RULE!
AaronWilliams is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:16 PM
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,528
Quote:
Originally posted by AaronWilliams
Yes I did learn my leson about trying to show off on the street and have made my mind up 80% about converting my bike to a track only bike for next year so that I can take my need for speed out in a safe closed enviroment.

PS KAWASAKIS RULE!

Good choice, you won't be disappointed! Just beware, track riding is highly addictive!

What about gear? Are you ever gonna ride without leather pants again?
slaintedan is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 72
Its a funny story that coming week I was gonna take my paycheck and buy a full 1 peice racing leather suit for street riding because I was weary about my textile jacket, although I will say that it did help ALOT I just looked at it and it took a beating and held up pretty well. I am happy I made one good desicion before I bought my bike and that was, when the idea of buying a motorcyle poped into my head I went to the bike shop and bought my jacket and helmet and my gloves they deffinitly saved my ass. Im aware track riding is addictive and thats why I want to try it I was trying to get my bike ready for the track for next year, but this came up. Like I said I learned my leason and Ive retired from being a squid
AaronWilliams is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:28 PM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 169
he didnt look like he had road rash on his legs...he broke them...not alot of good leather pants would have done him...perhaps if he had boots on...

i don't like how u guys jump on guys about "i hope you learned your lesson" of course he fucking did...

he's lucky he didnt break his neck and can still plan on riding, many people aren't that fortunate

i just hope OTHER RIDERS read this and LEARN from HIS mistake, i know when i first started riding i was thinking about when i would start doing wheelies, i never did because i saw so many crash vids and threads about guys that wrecked doing stupid shit...that was enough warning for me

some people have to make mistakes to learn from them, i think by sharing this hopefully he will have stopped someone from doin something stuipid on a bike
FMAN_DTF is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally posted by FMAN_DTF
he didnt look like he had road rash on his legs...he broke them...not alot of good leather pants would have done him...perhaps if he had boots on...

i don't like how u guys jump on guys about "i hope you learned your lesson" of course he fucking did...

he's lucky he didnt break his neck and can still plan on riding, many people aren't that fortunate

i just hope OTHER RIDERS read this and LEARN from HIS mistake, i know when i first started riding i was thinking about when i would start doing wheelies, i never did because i saw so many crash vids and threads about guys that wrecked doing stupid shit...that was enough warning for me

some people have to make mistakes to learn from them, i think by sharing this hopefully he will have stopped someone from doin something stuipid on a bike
AaronWilliams is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:48 PM
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,528
Quote:
Originally posted by FMAN_DTF
...i don't like how u guys jump on guys about "i hope you learned your lesson" of course he fucking did...

FMAN, you don't have to like it. Truth is, I don't like seeing any rider hurt and I especially don't like hearing that guys are repeatedly making the same mistake(s). If I (or other SBW members) ask him if he's learned from his mistake it's 'cause we take personally the responsibility we have to our fellow riders. For whatever reason, you see this as condescending, I see it as looking out for my fellow rider.
slaintedan is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Registered User
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sportbike World
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
FMAN, you don't have to like it. Truth is, I don't like seeing any rider hurt and I especially don't like hearing that guys are repeatedly making the same mistake(s). If I (or other SBW members) ask him if he's learned from his mistake it's 'cause we take personally the responsibility we have to our fellow riders. For whatever reason, you see this as condescending, I see it as looking out for my fellow rider.
+1

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
monkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome