Everything possible from EX500 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Everything possible from EX500

I have an opportunity to grab am 89 ex500 for next to nothing. I've been riding a CBR 600 F3 for 2 yrs now, and I'm sure the power just aint the same. So, heres the question: how would y'all go about getting the EX up to par with the F3? Bore it, Turbo, or swap.... I've never worked on Kawi's, so any help is appreciated. (BTW, "buy a newer, faster bike" aint an option) TIA

Last edited by AR4CE; 01-15-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:02 AM

Re: Everything possible from EX500

Quote:
Originally posted by AR4CE
I have an opportunity to grab am 89 ex500 for next to nothing. I've been riding a CBR 600 F3 for 2 yrs now, and I'm sure the power just aint the same. So, heres the question: how would y'all go about getting the EX up to par with the F3? Bore it, Turbo, or swap.... I've never worked on Kawi's, so any help is appreciated. (BTW, "buy a newer, faster bike" aint an option) TIA

Best bet would be to prepare for disappointment. The EX is nover going to be up to par with an F3. Give up now and just enjoy it for what it is.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:13 AM

What’s wrong with your F3???

You better off fixing the F3 or customize it because the EX500 is for beginners and you getting an EX over you F3 is going backwards. The EX is not even in the same class as a 600 sport bike like the F3. The EX it's not mad for performance and speed.

Or just get it cheep then sell both the F3 and EX and get a newer 600!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 AM

EX mods

Well, I would suggest going down to your local Army surplus store and buying a JATO rocket to attach to that EX. That might get it up to par with the F3.

Seriously, you would have to almost double the horsepower output of that EX motor to get to the level of a stock F3 (50 vs 90 rear wheel HP). You'd have to spend a SERIOUS amount of cash, and even then, I'm not sure it'd be mechanically possible to mod that engine to that level. Even if you did, the bike would probably be extremely unreliable- a bomb waiting to explode!

As the previous post suggested- enjoy the bike for what it is. Personally, I really like the EX/Ninja 500 and think that it'd make a great second bike, especially if you get it for a smokin' deal like you said.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thx. The ex would be a second bike, probably for freinds and family who want to ride with me when they visit, and something to fool around on. Like I said, Im not firmiliar with Kawis.

Are there any direct or low mod motor swaps, like a same year zx6 or somethin?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Why not just leave the engine alone, and build up the suspension, and turn it into a track bike? In any case, this place has lots of stuff for the 500 http://www.brgracing.com/ex500.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if it's a spare bike, leave it fairly stock. you may find that something that isn't very high strung may end up being a very enjoyable bike in a very different way.

however, from what i understand half the ninja 1000 stuff works on the ex quite well.

get it, it's a half a ninja 1000 motor... i thought it was funny...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
however, from what i understand half the ninja 1000 stuff works on the ex quite well.

get it, it's a half a ninja 1000 motor... i thought it was funny...

ouch

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:46 PM

Half a Ninja 1000

You know what's funny, I half beleived that post for a second. I was already picturing stuff like cutting a pair of Muzzy 1000R cams in half.

Aaargh! I'm SO gullible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode