can any experienced kawasaki riders help me with an ninja ex500R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

can any experienced kawasaki riders help me with an ninja ex500R

i got my first bike a 2001 ninja ex500r this summer. i just recenyly dumped and was wondering how to fix the minor scratches in the plastics and exhaust. also if i shouldnt do the painting where can i buy plastics and other stuff for my bike.as you can probably tell im new to this so any info is great . thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 04:47 PM
jrm

options

Probably your best options for repair are

--don't bother if they are not bad

--plastic weld, sand, prime, repaint what you have

--look on ebay, although I hate buying stuff there...

I have same bike and there does not seem to be much web space dedicated to it. Must be some folks out there who like them?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:55 PM

dunno much about bodywork stuff, but i guess i'd just call around and see what kind of quotes a dealership can give you and what ratings they have. also maybe a paintshop could give you quotes or even tell you what kind of paint would be needed and you could remove the fairings and do it yourself. i had twin marks on the very front left edges of my upper fairing after laying it down on both sides, but after some moron in a van backed up into me and gave me some scratches underneath the upper fairing i used that as an excuse to have body work done on it which my insurance gladly paid for

yeah unfortunately there's not a lot of sites dedicated to it perhaps because it's a bike you're "supposed" to outgrow but you can find accessories and custom body work at targa's website and lockhart philips.

hope that helps, i'm looking to upgrade within the next couple of years to a zx6r not even for more power but because i just want bigger tires to handle our shitty manitoba roads better.

maybe show us some pics and you'll get better advice

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 08:35 PM

I agree with JRM, if it is not too bad in your view, leave it. Not worth your time, and it might remind you about what you didn't do when you damaged the bike.

You can get aftermarket bodywork but I would check on prices from Kawasaki. The price difference might not be enough to offset the fact that you will have to do some work to get most aftermarket plastic to fit exactly to the remaining OEM parts (easier if you replaced all the body work with aftermarket).

Also, if the scratches are not down to the plastic, you can try a body shop that works on sportbikes (if you have a race organization where you live, ask them where the racers get their bikes painted), that might be the best place to get an honest opinion about how they can fix it and for how much. A person experienced with polishers, sanders and rubbing compound may be able to make it look like new (IF the scratches left some color for them to work with).

Lastly, your dealer can hook you up with the company that makes the OEM paint for your bike (the name escapes me but it is only one company and they are in CA I think), and you could order some and touch up the scratches (my probable course of action if they are gouges thru the paint).

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode