is this normal for ZX9R..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
jjp

is this normal for ZX9R.....

I'm new on this site and have questions for any and all new ZX9R owners. I have been riding for about 10 years now and just purchased a 2002 ZX9R new. I traded up from a 1999 ZX6R, which in my opinion was a hell of a lot quieter than my new rocket. Is this normal? I notice a very rythmic ticking at idle and at speed, which in all fairness sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to do. At startup I notice all kinds of noises from ticking to clacking to snaping. It goes away after a minute or so . I assume it quiets when the oil reaches the top of the head. Is this a correct assumption? My concerns are because I followed the breakin guidelines on this bike and all others i've owned and this one is just noisier than any of the others. Are ZX9R's normally this noisy? My ZX6R purred w/ no extraneous noise of any sort. One other question, is this bike cold natured or what? It does not like to start easy in the morning. Any opinons are certainly welcome and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 05:20 AM

I know nothing of ZX9's BUT unless someone on here with knowledge (and there are several 9 devotees here too) disputes this I'd say get the valves checked. You said you did the break in but did you do the break in service that many bikes require?? A valve check after the first 500-1000 miles used to be routine although many new bikes don't require it today.
The noise you describe sounds like loose valve train as the noise gets better with warm up like expanding metal fitting better after a minute or two. All of which may be normal on the 9 but if it really bugs you and someone on here doesn't pop up to say it's totally normal get the valves checked or better yet do it yourself. It's never YOUR bike until you've torn into it a bit IMHO.

Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 05:33 AM

I would tend to agree......

The valves sound like they are in need of adjustment. My "E" made sounds like that.........I ended up replacing 14 of 16 shims.

Although the "E" is not the 9R........It is still a KAWI and the valve trains are similiar enough in this area to push me into this direction.

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2003
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
jjp

Thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that it has done this from mile one. The noise on startup is slightly more noticable and especially after it sits for a full day ( oil drains all the way down). I have about 800 miles and didnt plan to service until 1000 mile breakin is complete.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 06:48 AM

Is a valve clearance part of that 1000 mile check?? If so it probably wouldn't make any difference doing it now or in the next 200 miles. Now for piece of mind, then if it fits your schedule better cause I doubt your hurting much?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
jjp

According to owners manual, 7500 mile valve clearance check. I'm not overly concerned, just curious if KAWI's are noisy. I've heard that newer Yamaha R1's are noisier than older models also.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:16 AM

My 2001 does the same thing! It is loud enough that i plan on having it checked soon. once the bike is warm, the bike gets much quieter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:18 AM

It's the cam chain making the noise, folks. The cam chain tensioner is designed to only take up slack in the chain and never loosen. To do this it has a simple ratchet mechanism. As the chain stretches, the tensioner will eventually push out hard enough to get to the next "click" on the ratchet mechanism. When it does this, the chain will become substantially quieter. It is normal and they all do that. No worries. Does sound like crap when cold though doesn't it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 12:42 PM

I have an older ZX9 (96). It is getting close to 20,000 miles, and it makes no ticking sounds from the engine.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 PM

Mines the Same

Mine sounds the same. It sounds like loud valves. I did a proper break in, and the dealer went over it after, nothing amiss.
I still find it loud, but if there nothing wrong I am not worried about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in