Z1000...First ride impressions! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Z1000...First ride impressions!

Well, as some of you know I went and picked up the Z1000 today. And my first impression is that Kawasaki nailed it on this one. I'm no moto journalist nor am I a professional rider. So, don't be to critical of my evaluation of the bike ok?

Handling:

After riding my freind's ZRX12000 I was expecting a bike that would be somewhere in between my ZX-6R and the ZRX 1200. Truth of the matter is I was planning on keeping my 600 for the twisty stuff and using the Z1000 for longer semi aggressive rides. In short, I don't think I'll be keeping the 600! This bike blows it away in the hadling department!

This bike turns in like you wouldn't believe. It actually has better handling than my 600. I couldn't believe it. There was some concern about the rubber mouted handlebars as well and I was expecting to find a hint of vagueness in feedback from the front tire. This is not the case either. This bike feels planted and extremely predictable. It turns in like a demon and rider input through the bars is exceptionally well engineered. I found myself carrying corners much quicker and easier than on my 600. Then agian that could be a residual effect of having a smoother powerplant between my legs. I'm eagerly anticipating digging in really hard on this bike. Hopefully steering vaugness won't become evident! Time will tell.

Power:

This will have to wait as I've not yet begun to break the motor in. Initally the bike feels a little weak in the low RPM range and doesn't spin up as quickly as my 600. I attribute this to a heavier crank than what's in most sport bikes. But that's a good thing as throttle applications in the city are very smooth and confidence inspiring. No, lurching in first gear the likes of which plagued my 600. And this from a fuel injected bike! I couldn't use first gear to negotiate corners on my 600 without surging forward. I'd like to think that Kawasaki engineered this into the overall design of the powerplant for that very reason.

In essence it looks like I'm going to get the best of both worlds here. A civilized bike while in high traffic areas and a hell of a screamer on the top end. Especially after some engine modification. I expecting to get 160+ RWHP if Muzzy comes out with a Bore kit for the bike. Fingers are crossed.

I'd have to guess that the real power is going to come on around 7 -8 RPM. I'll let you guys know what that's like once the motor is broken in. I'm sure you R1 and GSXR guys won't be impressed as the bikes claimed 140 Crank Horsepower translates into 113RWHP. But as you know, Kawasaki stuffs it's motors. Muzzy are you reading this?

Right now, 4000 RPM has the ZED poking along @ 60 MPH effortlessly. Acceleration is smooth and linear up to about 6000 and that's as far as I've taken it at this piont. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in she pulls like a mule. This is my first 1000 so for me, coming off of a 600, this bike is impressive.
All you Busa, R1 Gixxer and CBR guys might laugh so take it for what it is. Don't be surprised if my ZED spanks your asses after the mods are in place though. Your laughing days are numbered I assure you!

Ergos:

Simply outstanding. Once again I was surprised at how well the bike behaves to rider input in relation to the rider positioning on the bike. It feels light years ahead of my 600. And that's no shit! hard to believe huh?

The reach to the bars is perfect for me. I'm 6' 1" @230 lbs and the riding position is slightly leaned forward. Just enough to take the pressure off of the lower back. The days of my right wrist sleeping are over.

Legroom is great and there's plenty of room to adjust your feet on the pegs. No muffler digging into your heel while riding. The fuel tank is perfectly balanced in design. The width let's you know that you're not on a 600 but it's not so wide as to make it difficult to hang off of the bike.

I was concerned about wind protection as well. Not a problem either. The radiator is very wide and scoops up the majority of air that would normally hit you're legs. As far as the upper body, It's clean smooth air. The front windscreen, although small, must have been designed correctly. In moving my head around I couldn't find turbulence anywhere. My 600 can't even claim that as there's turbulence just above the windscreen on it that bounces your head around ever so slightly.

Initial conclusion:

After spending 3 months reading reviews and looking at bikes I'm confident I made the right choice here. This bike is a sleeper for the unwary to worry about. A little mod here and a little mod there and I'm confident that it'll hang with the big dogs out on the street. And that's exactly where Kawasaki knew I'd be riding it.

If you were thinking about getting one you'd better decide fast. J&D (my dealer) has sold two more that haven't even arrived yet. These puppies are destined to be a classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:25 PM

Congrats, but you forgot to say what color it is!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Black w/Purple Pearl and red trim!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 07:48 AM

Question

Damn it, man! Post some pics of your machine!

Anyway, glad to read you're enjoying it. Are there any exhaust options out there yet?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the bike! This one aint mine but it may as well be. It's the same with the exception of the color of the bars. Mine are gold. Also if you look at the pillion pegs you'll see a toe rest molded into the casting. This isn't on my bike either.

I'm probably going to wait a while for exhaust options. Regular pipes won't fit on this bike. There's no exhaust hangers coming down from the seat. Both pipes are secured to the bike via connenctions on the massive rear sets.

What would be nice would be Muzzy, Wolf Racing or Devil quad cans. Time will tell!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:32 PM

Hey, good for you! Glad to see my advice paid off
Be sure and post pics once you get a sweet paint job on that thing so we can admire it!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Hey, good for you! Glad to see my advice paid off
Be sure and post pics once you get a sweet paint job on that thing so we can admire it!
No dude! No custom paint on this one. Lesson learned the hard way on the last one. I'll be losing $8500 once it's sold. I like the ZED just the way it is. Black pearl is fine by me!

On another note, I just got off of the phone with two friends of mine that used to work for Confederate Motorcycle. One is an artist and the other is a material fabricator. It appears that we may be starting up a company that will specialize in chin fairings, Bikini fairings, Light mounts, Wheel Huggers, and fenders.

Guess what bike will be the first bike we mod! Yup! My ZED. Thing is once we're done making the part my bike goes back to stock if I want it too.

Geez, I can't believe I actually agreed to let them at my new bike!

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm not mentioning the name of the company yet as we have to register it first. But rest assured it will be high quality and unique stuff. I'm really excited about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode