Dyno test Z1000, FZ1, 919. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Dyno test Z1000, FZ1, 919.

I want to die. I want to be shot in the head and dragged through the streets. For the only thing I have been living for for the past two weeks has been waiting for the arrival of my new Z1000. After reading the test results my life now means nothing. I want to die.

I just read this article on the performance of the new Z1000 as compared to the Yam FZ1 and the Honda 919. I can't believe how poor the results are. How can it be that the Z1000's ZX-9R motor is only putting out 15 more horses than my 2001 ZX-6R. These numbers can't be right. They just can't be!

953cc's with milder cams should at least put out 120 HP at the rear wheel wouldn't you think? God I'm so depressed. I was going to pick up my new Z1000 Wednesday. Half of me still wants it as I know I could dump a little cash into it and get more power.

Does anyone have any hp and torque numbers for Kaws 2001 ZX-9R. I just can't beliee that Kawasaki did this! Please please tell me I'm caught in a bad dream here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 08:52 PM

Uh, did you notice that the other 2 bikes have pipes on them? Still- Yeah, I expected a bit more peak HP from the Z. And as far as comparisons with your 6R, the real differences are going to be in the 4-8K range, where the Z probably shoves out 30+ more HP.
No dealer will refuse a test ride once paperwork has started, so go ride the thing and decide for yourself!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:14 AM

Thumbs up Suck it up...

Bananimal, did you expect a world-beating machine? Did you expect it to compete with superbikes and highpowered, modified-to-the-teeth streetfighters? Christ-all-mighty, you are about to take delivery of what many think to be an absolutley exquisite, wild, and exotic motorcycle. If you wanted a soul-less, cookiecutter ride, you should'a bought a YamHondKawiSuz RZXGSXCBR 10,000cc Falic Symbol like every other schmuck who needs to prove a point/improve their appearance. They have no grit; no determination. Just a prove-a-point personality. So screw that, my friend. The power #'s look fine. Besides, like the median poster here said, take a test ride on it. I bet it feels quick, with a generous kick of torque in the mid-range. If you can't appreciate that, then yes, by all means, join the masses.

My $.02

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 01:24 PM

Z1000 power

Well, when that bike first came out, I figured it would put down between 110-115 rear wheel hp. Which makes sense when you consider that the "full strength" version of that motor makes about 125 rwhp in the 9R. Losing about 10hp after all of the milding down of the motor, (compression ratio, cams, etc) seems about right.

When you consider that the stock FZ1 makes 117 rwhp with a larger motor and that Kawasaki's own ZRX 1200 makes 113 rwhp with a MUCH larger motor, the Z1000 is doing pretty damn well!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah....but the way they touted the bike you would think that the manufacturers would learn that what we want is not watered down versions of their sportbikes. I guess they're doing it for reliability purposes as well.

I figure by the time I jet and pipe it I should pickup somewhere between 10 and 15 ponies. Now if Muzzy comes out with a big bore kit then I'll likely see 160+ RWHP. I'm not looking for R1esque performace in terms of splitting apexes. I'm looking for quickness. I just figured that with the Z1000 being over-bored to 953 that the effect of the milder cams would put the performance numbers somewhere near the stock ZX-9R numbers but give a greater kick in the midrange. I guess I was dreaming.

My ZX-6R has 100RWHP. 13 more isn't that much. I had a guy tell me that I was crazy if I though my little 600 could keep up with the Z1000. Thing is my little 600 hangs with the ZRX1200 in the 1/4 mile.

I'm not a racer or a squid. It's just hard for me to justify the 8000 for not much more than a more civilized riding position.

I love the Z1000. I've spent many hours sitting on the one that I'll be picking up tomorrow. You guys are right! I worry too much. I should just enjoy the ride. I'm sure the performance parts will be there when and if I'm ready for them.

Wanna see a pretty 600 Ninja? Here's a photo. I'll be keeping this bike to ride the twisty stuff. If the ZED does the trick for me I may sell her. Time will tell.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 02:04 PM

De-tuned standard style sportbikes

I agree, I have never understood the need for the manufacturers to "de-tune" the engines they put into the standard style bikes. They should have plopped in a bored out version of the standard 9R motor- 130 rwhp anyone? Hell yeah, sign me up for that! Similarly, the FZ1 should have the standard spec R1 engine, the 919 gets the 954RR motor, etc. Aside from being a ton of fun, you would think that it would be cheaper for the manufacturers to just use the same engine across multiple platforms.

In terms of acceleration and quarter mile performance, your ZX-6R should be a straight up match for the Z1000, although the riding experience between the 2 bikes is entirely different.

I think you'll really enjoy your Z-bike. And besides, you still have the 6R to rip up the twisties with. (Beautiful bike by the way!) Best of luck with the new ride.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I wanna see a pretty 6R, where is it?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Yeah, I wanna see a pretty 6R, where is it?
Yeah whatever SV650 man.....My paintjob and swingarm cost more than your underpowered little V-twin. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How else can you explain the look of the bike YOU'RE riding and your actually wanting to ride it?

Last edited by Bananimal; 02-07-2003 at 04:08 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: De-tuned standard style sportbikes

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
They should have plopped in a bored out version of the standard 9R motor- 130 rwhp anyone? Hell yeah, sign me up for that!
They did. It's Bored over to 953cc's. That's why I'm freaking on the numbers!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Bananimal
Yeah whatever SV650 man.....My paintjob and swingarm cost more than your underpowered little V-twin. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How else can you explain the look of the bike YOU'RE riding and your actually wanting to ride it?
Hey bananaman, he can actually ride his so he doesn't need the paint job and swingarm. You don't want to go there. That's his racebike and I'd take money on him to whoop you good on the road course of your choice. Then, for double or nothing, you could trade bikes and he'll whoop you again. Everybody, say it again, "it ain't the bike, it's the rider".

That little quip about paint cost and underpowered gets my goat. The only thing I'll agree with you about is "... beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode