Fender Eliminator for ZX6E? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Fender Eliminator for ZX6E?

Just wondering what kind of options I have for eliminating the huge rear fender of my ZX6E. I'm not enthralled with the idea of having a bracket on one of my cans, but I haven't had much luck finding any manufacturers for eliminator kits.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 PM

If none of the other 6e owners can help you out, you always have the option of using the Dremel on that big sail. If you do, pay careful attention to maintaining the structural stiffness of the tail section.
If you decide to go this way, let me know and I'll post detailed instructions.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Definitely...

post some instructions on how to accomplish this. I've actually given this some thought but don't know the in's and out's of the procedure.

Much appreciated

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 07:03 AM

I have been thinking about doing this to my bike. But 200 bucks for a piece of plastic is way to much. Post instructions on the sawiing the sail off please.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 08:12 PM

Alright fellas, this is what you'll need - A Dremel, or equivalent, three or four cutoff wheels, and three of four screws. I would suggest you get the flexible extension shaft also, it will make working in close much easier. About $60 for everything at Wal-Mart.

Before you begin, if one of you could post pics of the rear fender with the tailsection plastic removed, taken from the side, top, back and underneath, it would be helpful. You have to be careful, because a good bit of the rigidity of the tailsection plastic and support for the taillight comes from the shape of the fender, and you may have to be creative in maintaining that support.

I'm going to try to post pics of my bike, but I don't really know how, so any instructions would be appreciated.............
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Rundog

Just email me your pics and I'll host em for ya... I'll send you the URLs to access them then all you have to do is hit the IMG button when posting and enter in the URL to the photo... simple as that.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Alright, Northwind, I'm gonna give it a try in a few minutes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 05:55 PM

I tried to click on 'View my photo gallery' and upload from my C drive, but got this error:

File upload error. Cannot find uploaded file.
Path: [/www/motozine/gallery/data/500/12613pict1.bmp]

Can anyone help??

Last edited by Rundog; 02-05-2003 at 06:06 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

not sure...

but I don't think you can post .bmp files... try converting to .jpg or .gif and try again... that or send a moderator a PM and see what they say...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:24 PM

Alright, we're ready now. Thanks, NW... You can look at my bike under 'View my photos', and see what I did. You'll notice I mounted my license plate right under my taillight, and installed an Integrator kit in lieu of turnsignals. One thing I had to do was mount a cutoff piece of black mudflap to cover the rear from directly behind the tailight to about 6" back. I also drilled a couple of slots in my taillight mount and used a couple of Zip strips to maintain the position & rigidity of the taillight. Once I finished, I used some black RTV to ensure no water could get in. You'll also see a hump projecting downward about 11" in front of my license plate. On my bike, this is where the ECU resides, and in order to eliminate this hump I would have had to remove my trunk, and I decided I'd rather keep the trunk.

It's not really a difficult job, and it will probably be easier on the 6 than it was on the 12. I did the same to my ZX11, whose rear end was more like your 6's, and it was much easier.

I'd still like to see those pics, it will make it much easier to help you do a good-looking job when I can see exactly what you're working with. Thanks again, Northwind.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode