FI or Carbs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: FI or CARBS
GIVE ME FUEL INJECTION 39 65.00%
I LOVE MY TRADITIONAL CARBS 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

FI or Carbs

If you had a choice when it comes to your favorite ride, would you want it to have FI or CARBS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:01 AM

perhaps it me, but why would anyone want carbs? they are easier to work on and lower costs to repair, but fuel injection yeilds better performance and smoother operation.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:42 AM

Quote:
fuel injection yeilds better performance and smoother operation.
Don't know about that. The best compliment one can give an FI system is that it is "carb like". CV carbs are incredibly well suited for smooth power delivery.

I think manufacturers use FI because it is more compact. Look at a rack of 40mm carbs some time. You can't make them much bigger because they won't align with intake ports any more. There just isn't enough space between the ports to make the carbs any bigger.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
carbs all the way. much, much smoother. but time marches on. and i'm sure within a few years the epa would carbs running so lean they would have no drivability.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:52 AM

I'm going from info I have about cars when I made my comments, perhaps bikes are different, but on cars the fuel injection is most of the time larger then a simple carb. and it definately give the car smoother power and better economy, as well as prevents any lean conditions because of the sensors. I can only see advantages over the carbs, but what do I know, I've only dealt with cars up until recently
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

I'll keep the carbs.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I called Kawasaki's main office here in the states and spoke to a technical representative. He says FI is far superior to the CARBS. Does he know what he is talking about, or is this some sales pitch???

We are talking about for every day commuting, twisty, road raging wheelies.

Not for track purposes, now which is better or would you prefer FI or CARBS.

For year round conditions also.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:57 PM

As Bill Clinton would say, depends on your definition of the word "superior"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 07:16 PM

Kind of depends on the bike, don't you think? My ZX12R works perfectly with the FI, and it also has a Power Commander III and a full Akrapovic system. My ZRX works perfectly with carbs!

Harleys, in my experience, are MUCH better with the FI.

Having the mechanical ability of a footstool, I try to do as much of my maintenance as possible with a checkbook. It took me 30 years to discover that I save both money and time this way. With that background, any system that requires no maintenance is good for me.

As an example, I adjusted the chain on my ZRX today, and it was a comedy of errors. You would not believe anyone could make a 45 second job so difficult!

I owned a 1977 Yamaha XS750 triple for 22 years, and loved it. It always ran perfectly, and I never touched the carbs over 58,000 miles. A friend of mine just bought the same bike from the second owner and needed to spend some time on it, because the guy had "adjusted" the carbs so that it would hardly run.

In coming years, as computers continue to get more complex, and cheaper, I think all bikes will have FI, and they will all run perfectly. Garage mechanics everywhere will then complain that they cannot "improve" their bikes like in the good old days.

I have been riding for 35 years and the sum total of all of these experiences is that 1.) These ARE the good old days and 2.) Most people who work on their motorcycles really should not!

One caveat - I now work for a dealer, and I get to see my bike worked on and I know who is doing the work - life is good.

As for me, soap and water and wax are the only mechanical operations I enjoy - and the only ones I can do without endangering myself and the bike.

Yours in humility,
Dave Preston
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 10:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Carbs. They might not be "superior" in whatever sense of the meaning you prefer to take it, but you don't need a $15,000 computer to tune it.

FI is also volnerable to electrical failure. A race-mate's FI system was fried by "the shop" that was looking at a different electrical system, and refused to take responsibility. And yes, it was the shop, since he is not mechanically inclined, whips out the checkbook with each task, and it was working before he took it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode