FI or CARBS

• GIVE ME FUEL INJECTION

Votes: 39 65.0%
  • I LOVE MY TRADITIONAL CARBS

Votes: 21 35.0%

FI or Carbs

5K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Vash 
#1 ·
If you had a choice when it comes to your favorite ride, would you want it to have FI or CARBS?

#29 · (Edited)
Rundog said:
I read an English mag where they did a compare of 2 ZX12's, one with carbs and one with the factory FI. The carb bike got 10 mpg more than the FI. Really the only complaint I have about the 12 is the lousy mpg.
No one ever said these are EFI bikes. :twofinger But maybe in the coming FI generations.

#30 ·
In my experience, FI is far superior, especially from a performance standpoint in racing. I am involved in the Formula SAE program at University of Wisconsin. We build and race a formula style car with a 600 cc engine. Having the ability to adjust mixture without tearing the machine apart is huge. And now there is software available to do it yourself. All it is is a spread sheet sheet with values for every variable. As long as you have a decent (and accurate) understanding of how fuel injection works, most people can learn to use these programs in a relatively short period of time. I can see how people may like carbs since they can work on the themselves, but FI is the only way to go for pure performance. Its like comparing Nascar and Formula-1.

#31 ·
I'd have to side with FI, mainly due to ease of adjustment. After a $300 PCIII, I can plug my bike in and adjust the values to exactly where I want them. Carbs require a great deal more time do adjust, they have to be properly synched, and there is a great deal more error in adjustment.
As for pure race, Carbs hold an advantage over most FI, mainly during the slow opening of the throttle. FI have a minimum ammount of fuel they can inject. That ammount it a percentage of the max amount, so the more fuel the FI has to push at full throttle the less accuracy at the cracking of the throttle. Of course this problem is becoming less and less noticable.
FI is also virtually maintanance free, which is a big plus in my book.

I am also a whole lot more comfotable with electronics than I am with vacuum diaphrams.

For whoever was comparing Bike FI to car FI. most car systems are closed loop. The FI uses O2 sensors to adjust for the conditions at hand. Most bikes use an open loop system, which is completly pre-programmed, and in that way acts like a carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.