oops... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

oops...

Hello everybody, just signed up here recently, and I got my first bike (a new 2002 ninja 500r) last tuesday, whenever I park it in my parking lot i have to go up a small concrete ramp to park it on the sidewalk in front of my car. Yesterday when getting off I lost my balance and dropped it very slowly ;-p Nothing too serious just a small scratch on the very corner of the upper cowl and I believe the rear brake pedal is bent slightly inwards so that it taps the side of the engine which can hopefully be corrected by bending it back into place. Oh yea and the turn signal was pushed into the upper cowl but being flimsy rubber and all it snapped back into place no problem. So I'm gonna take it to my kawi shop on thursday to see if it's anything more than I have analyzed so far.

But it's been a blast so far, I finished the msf course and I think I've picked one of the best to start out on. Very forgiving when it comes to the typical newbie mistakes.

-Twitch
In the end it all comes down to 1 and 0...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:53 AM

Sounds like you recovered your sanity nicely, but I bet you were shocked when it went down! I know I was paralyzed when my first bike went over (actually it was knocked over). Nothing you can do about it but shrug it off to Life. Have fun, ride safe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:29 AM

That is one crappy feeling seeing your bike on it's side.

It can happen to the best of us.

You did pick a good bike to learn on.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
sorry about the bad break, i bet you're happy you bought a ninja 500 instead of an r6 right now.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Don't sweat it. It happens. Congrats on passing the MSF and getting your bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:42 PM

Did the same thing on my 500 turning into a parking spot. Guess I just got her leaned over to far and WHAMO! I had to laugh b/c you take all these crazy turns at high speeds, but then the darn thing falls over at 2mph. Luckily it was late at night so no one was around to see me. No loss of cool points......

Congrats on the bike. Like you said, it's a good one to learn on. I know I had a blast on mine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Mines been layed down twice by me and once by my wife. I dropped doing about 1mph tring to practice the DMV course for the first time. It took me a second to realize I just dropped my bike. Being a new rider I was very imbarrased as there were some people in the buildings around me and I'm sure someone saw me. I almost thought I wasn't going to be able to lift it back up by myself (the damn R6 is heavy -i know bad first bike). I got it up and tried a couple times more with better luck.
The second time I dropped it I was just sittin' on it waiting for my wife to come out of a store(no I wasn't giving her a ride I just met her there) and I was backing it up and I stepped on a lil rock and my leg slipped and down she went again at 0mph. I was right by the road and people were driving by when it happened. I felt like an idiot and probably looked like one too.
I am teaching my wife to ride to see if we are going to buy her a bike and she was riding around in a large empty parking lot and during a turn sort of ran out of room and it was set it down or hit the curb and set it down anyway so at about walking speed (that was her problem, going to slow) set it down.
So don't feel bad for droppin' it, it happens and I hope I'm done droppin' mine. I'm glad I didn't spring for a brand new bike as a first bike, I'd be pissed right now with scratches on it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Holy Resurrected Threads Batman!

Six years!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Holy crap I didn't even see the date. haha I guess its time for evereyone to admit there mistakes and fess up here now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode