Tires? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Tires?

I just bought by Buell Firebolt, and its a great bike. I have a few more 500 mile left on my rear tire, but i'd rather burn em' out, never done it: I guess i'll start now.

they a r dunlops - i dont know what spec

What are the best tires on the market?
recomend?
What do you ride with?

gras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 AM

metzler M3's hands down the best tires i have ever had.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

what about . . .

what about Continental tyres

- The "Sport Attack" tire has a real aggresive tread
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20...ort_attack.htm

Does anyone have any remarks about Continental?

==========================================
A SIDE question - how the hell do you make hyperlinks?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Tires?

Quote:
Originally posted by ochoa0042
I just bought by Buell Firebolt, and its a great bike. I have a few more 500 mile left on my rear tire, but i'd rather burn em' out, never done it: I guess i'll start now.

they a r dunlops - i dont know what spec

What are the best tires on the market?
recomend?
What do you ride with?

gras
What do you expect from a tire?

What are you riding on (surface, track, street, mountains, interstates)?

I change tires depending on what I'm doing. Sport touring is the D220 from Dunlop, serious roads and track use is the D208 GPa, and I'll be using slicks for a couple of months next year.

We can help if you give us some more info.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
if your looking for a set of used tires for stunting or what-not, ive got an old set of pirelli diablo corsa's with alot of tread left on them. 120/70 front, 190/50 rear. 90.00 shipped

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

FAST & HARD

Well I ride my bike everywhere I go, a diligent commuter. Austin, TX is also the 'hill country'.

--> I ride the roads fast and hard; this one road, Nameless Rd, is a very very fast, long sweeping
beauty, some corners have a little bank to em', so I have taken 70+MPH: I can do more,but not
just ready to risk it. (very clean road)-----Google -Nameless Rd, Texas 78641

--> Another Road, off of Volente beach, resembles the Nurburgring Nordschleife race track, hair-pin
corners, long-sweeping bends, chicanes, mountainous climbs, and a fast straight-a-way at the end:
the down-side, its right on Lake Austin so it has million dollar mansions being rebuilt, so this road is
dying-out because of construction sand & shit. (loads of fun) -----Google -lime creek, Texas 78641

--> There is also 2222, Bullick Hollow, City Park Rd, Spicewood Springs, 1431, Crystal Falls, Sam Bass, 2244, Oasis, CR-401A. Thats about it
--> I probably race around 17-20 Hours a week
==============================================
> Im toning it down for the winter, b/c I dont want to buy the right gear, and that Im going to polish that signature large buell frame.
> Y'all dont understand how much Im relying on your posts, my tyres are dying
DemonRR - thanks, but no thanks

Last edited by ochoa0042; 11-24-2007 at 12:13 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Re: FAST & HARD

Quote:
Well I ride my bike everywhere I go, a diligent commuter. Austin, TX is also the 'hill country'.

--> I ride the roads fast and hard; this one road, Nameless Rd, is a very very fast, long sweeping
beauty, some corners have a little bank to em', so I have taken 70+MPH: I can do more,but not
just ready to risk it. (very clean road)-----Google -Nameless Rd, Texas 78641

--> Another Road, off of Volente beach, resembles the Nurburgring Nordschleife race track, hair-pin
corners, long-sweeping bends, chicanes, mountainous climbs, and a fast straight-a-way at the end:
the down-side, its right on Lake Austin so it has million dollar mansions being rebuilt, so this road is
dying-out because of construction sand & shit. (loads of fun) -----Google -lime creek, Texas 78641

--> There is also 2222, Bullick Hollow, City Park Rd, Spicewood Springs, 1431, Crystal Falls, Sam Bass, 2244, Oasis, CR-401A. Thats about it
--> I probably race around 17-20 Hours a week
> Im toning it down for the winter, b/c I dont want to buy the right gear, and that Im going to polish that signature large buell frame.
> Y'all dont understand how much Im relying on your posts, my tyres are dying
DemonRR - thanks, but no thanks
OK... first, let me say that I'm a diehard Dunlop tire person. So my recommendations will follow suite.

For the sake of longevity, I would recommend the Dunlop D220. You will get lots of miles from these, and they still offer pretty darn good all around grip. I am not personally crazy about the feedback from the tires. However seven to eight thousand miles from a set with decent grip is hard to argue.

You can run a regular street compound such as the Dunlop Qualifiers. These are supposed to offer decent mileage, but the last street tire I ran lasted about 3-4 k per set. I've got over that on the D220s so far. And I've heard that the D220 has better wet traction.

I wouldn't consider the GPs an option for the street.

Tires of the same type I discussed are available from other manufacturers, but I don't keep track of them. Dunlop does a good job for me.

Mileage/longevity = sport touring, performance/best traction = street compound such as the Qualifier.

Hope this helps some.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Well I checked what type of Dunlops I have on em,

they are the D208GP, wow right

I am a serious driver, but because my bike has so much torque on command: I catch myself extiting turns with my rear end getting loose. And I've seen
pro-racing videos where if it gets too loose, your thrown off the bike!

So Im looking for a tire with AWESOME sidewall grip (where it realy matters). And its hard to get a legitimate answer: b/c all tire manufactures say they got the best this and best that bla bla bla. And all the reviews on the internet are by Joe-Smo from europa

I would like to hear something like, the Sportrider magizine, tested such and such, and the Dunlop 208GP are the best.

I'm not saying that I dont appreciate your comments, I realy do praise.
DanQ, you sound serious about your tires, so trust your decision

On this post there isnt consistency/majority on a specific tire, scattered

You see my delima? Should I post a poll ? A poll should help

Last edited by ochoa0042; 12-05-2007 at 11:44 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM

I have ridden on Dunlop Qualifiers, Battlax, and michelin pilot 2ct. The michelins are by far my favorite. Most people I know in my area are also riding the 2ct's. Im not sure of they tire wear yet, since I am still on my first set, but the Qualifiers and Battlax only gave me 5000 miles.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well I checked what type of Dunlops I have on em,

they are the D208GP, wow right

I am a serious driver, but because my bike has so much torque on command: I catch myself extiting turns with my rear end getting loose. And I've seen
pro-racing videos where if it gets too loose, your thrown off the bike!

So Im looking for a tire with AWESOME sidewall grip (where it realy matters). And its hard to get a legitimate answer: b/c all tire manufactures say they got the best this and best that bla bla bla. And all the reviews on the internet are by Joe-Smo from europa

I would like to hear something like, the Sportrider magizine, tested such and such, and the Dunlop 208GP are the best.

I'm not saying that I dont appreciate your comments, I realy do praise.
DanQ, you sound serious about your tires, so trust your decision

On this post there isnt consistency/majority on a specific tire, scattered

You see my delima? Should I post a poll ? A poll should help
Problem with tire questions is you are subjecting yourself to opinions. As I've learned more about riding and correct technique, I've learned to change my technology less, and improve my technique more. That's why I don't run slicks at the track. I can't use them yet.

I hit those 208 GPa's hard as heck coming out of corners, and rarely light them up. What tire pressure are you running?

You do realize that you should run about 30 psi cold on those? They warm up quickly, and stick pretty good. I don't know that I'd use them for any longevity on the street. Being a DOT race tire, they are only good for a limited amount of heat cycles. Once they are cycled out, they will get harder and slicker.

I'd look at a good quality street radial, or even the sport touring type tire for longevity. But the feedback from the sport touring tires may be at question.

Good luck.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode