How to stopie? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

How to stopie?

Stopie, or is it Stopy, or mabey Stopey? I don't really know someone let me know how to spell it. But for the time being I am gonna rename it [email protected]#$. So I am wondering how on earth to safely learn to do a [email protected]#$, I have become fairly comfortable with wheelies and I wish to learn how to lift my rear wheel now. I am asuming I could just Grab my front brake and squeeze harder and harder and eventualy it would happen ,however I am sure you can see why I would be nervous to try this. If anyone can give me a step by step way to do a [email protected]#$ I would really appreciate it. I particularly wish to learn how to keep my balance as the weight of the bike wants to tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 AM

Sure. Find a nice parking lot with good, clean pavement. Bring a broom and sweep it if you have to.
Wear all your gear.
Warm up your front tire. Ride around the block while dragging the front brake, that should do the trick.
Pick up some speed, maybe 30-40.
Sit up straight, lock your elbows.
Gently apply front brake untill you feel the weight transfer to the front.
Progressivly increase the braking force, as you slow down.
Your first stoppies will be static, with the rear end lifting after you already stopped. Rolling them is a touch more tricky, but same trick.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 PM

I agree with Vash's aproch just wanted to add to keep your head/eyes up and looking forward, also never grabe the brake, ever, always sqeeze. Your first couple will probably be static but try to avoid them since you have less control without the front wheel spinning. I started practicing mine at 40 mph and I was up to 90 mph in about a month. Keep it safe and keep your gear on! Good luck

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I was hopeing I could get some advice on how to do it safely. I just have one questiong though let's say I do a stop at 90 km but the I release the front brake and continue rideing. Is there any way to do a controlled land, I realize this will mostly be natural to the body but a lil outside info never hurts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Are you asking how to land a rolling stoppie while still moving?

As long as your rear wheel is behind your front wheel, you just let of the brake and the rear wheel lands without any problems. There may be a loud clank sound, which is caused by the chain coming to an abrupt stop.
If you rear wheel starts going to one side, the bike is likely to chunk you off when you set the wheel back down, It becomse a high side like situation.

If you are worried about safety, start out slow. There is a good chance that you will fall doing any stunt, and falling at 20 hurts much less than falling at 90.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

from what I hear . . .

just grab a fist full . . . and hold on for the ride . . . and dont

forget to close your eyes. . . yup yup
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:34 PM

one day, at band camp

I was riding one day with this stunter . . .long fun ride later and

he hasnt done any stunts yet, we were pulling up to a stop light

. . . when I hear this loud crack/bump/thump noise (hearing this over my rockin headphones)
he was doing a static endo. (mind you that when I looked to him he was still in the air) *(crack/bump/thump ---> looked ---> still in air)**

What was this noise? I thought his forks were bottoming out . . .

so we posted up somewhere, and I checked his forks . . . nothing what-so-ever

Could it be that his forks are bottoming out, but since he has his compression settings soo easy/soft/un-tough . . . that he bottoms out without leakage?

What do you make of it? ? ?

Last edited by ochoa0042; 11-26-2007 at 04:50 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 AM

The forks have to bottom out for a stoppie to happen, there is no way the rear wheel is coming up, untill the forks are bottomed out.

Bottoming out the forks does not mean fluid will seep. Its not even bad for the forks. Whats bad, is a sudden strong compression, wether it brings the forks to the end of the stroke or not. That it what overloads the seals.

And even that isnt really that bad. The seals are like $20 each, and only take a few hours to replace.

As for the noise, I'm guessing that was his chain coming to an abrupt halt.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
The forks have to bottom out for a stoppie to happen, there is no way the rear wheel is coming up, untill the forks are bottomed out.

As for the noise, I'm guessing that was his chain coming to an abrupt halt.
They do? are your sure of that?

thats probably the reason why I cant pull a endo on my dirt bike or motorcycle.

Realy. . . all the way ?
==============================================
back to discussion ~~

HEY! dont accellerate, then right away grab the front brake.

but you should - - accelerate , coast to give even distribution on the tires, then try to endo

Being hasty: accelerating then grabbing the front brake right away = locking the front tire, and bad mojo . . . it happened to me, but luckly I didnt eat it
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ochoa0042
They do? are your sure of that?

thats probably the reason why I cant pull a endo on my dirt bike or motorcycle.

Realy. . . all the way ?
Yes. The easiest way to do a stoppie, is to brake lightly untill the front tire is loaded, than brake progressivly harder untill one feels the front bottom out, then brake a touch more. As long as the forks are not bottomed out, they can absorb the weight transfer by compressing, leaving no force to lift your rear tire.

Learn to deal with your front tire locking up, its a skill that will pay devidents. As long as the bike is carrying some speed, nothing happens instantly, and that includes falling. Most situations leave about half a second for you to do something about them, which is a fair bit of time as long as you dont panic and use it wisely. Of course, speed ensures you will get hurt more when you do fall. Double edged sword there.

I have heard that locking up your front tire in the middle of a stoppie, when the rear is high in the air, can be absolutely disastarous, but havent personally done it myself. I suspect, that as long as the front tire doesnt turn from the direction of travel, everythig will be fine, but if it does, it will throw you over once it regains traction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode