Gearing? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Gearing?

I drive a 2006 R6 and it has no power low end the way it sits now. I have been doing some wheelies but I dont like how high I have to rev to get it to come up easy. I found a vortex kit that is 1 down in the front and 2 up in the back with a rk chain. I was wondering if any of you have tried a similar kit, or if that is a good combo for a little added low end power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:13 AM

I had a +1-2 sprockets on my z1000. The bike jumps up easier, but harder to balance once up, since its much twitchier. If you learn to clutch them well, you wont need the gearing help to lift the front up, but gearing changes will help you go slower on one wheel. However those are most often really high gearing changes, like +10 to +20 rear.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 PM

I put a Vortex -1 front sprocket on my R6 and I noticed quite a bit of difference. Not major, but it is noticeable. Also, I didn't have to replace the stock chain...all good there. Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket is the same as going +3 in the rear.

As was said, however, the more teeth you have on the rear, the more torque you are going to have. I am currently building a stunt bike (02 F4i) and one of the first things that I am doing is going +7 rear and -1 front (works out to the same as +10 rear).

As I am sure you are aware, however, you are going to loose top end speed. What I have seen is that you loose about 10% on top with a +5 and 20% with +10.

Hope that helps...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM

-1,+7 is what I have, and I have only had it for this year, been out on it once, the snap up from clutching the wheelie is great, and the engine brake to slow it down is much better, I was stunting stock, I need a cage for the 600 next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode