Wheelies and rear suspension - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Wheelies and rear suspension

Well so far I have found everything Ive ever wanted to know about wheelies and more. After reading many posts I went out the other day and managed to get a clutch up to work in 2nd gear for a few inches, at which point i realized i wasnt covering my rear brake and so decided id call it a day until i can make covering my rear brake a habit.

After much thought and consideration (being an engineer major with a good physics background) I was wondering what kind of effect adjusting my rear suspension would have on my wheelie capability. I drive a 600cc Suzuki bandit and can only get a an inch or two on a power wheelie and i was curious if my rear suspension had more give if it would allow a quicker transfer of weight, I assume that this would cause more balancing issues if i ever made it to bp wheelies.

Has anyone tried adjusting their rear suspension? If so what was its effect on your wheelies?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:55 PM

Post Suspension

Well dude I havn't stunted ever, but I plan too in the near future

I have a bud in his 30's , and he is a GURU at bike mechanics and stuff, he has raced on tracks more than enough to count, seen friends pass , crashed, and he now is a motocross rider every weekend.

From what I have learned from him, the higher the rear suspension, the easier it is to raise the front. I thought the opposite , but in reality, I relized this - - - - - take a look at the pivot on the rear suspension and the axle on the tire, if the tire's axle is below the engine and the pivot it allows the bikes mass to move up and back. So if the tire's axle is below the pivot you can see how it wants to fly
Ya kinda see it ?
Just draw a simple picture - the rear tire axle, the pivot of the rear suspention, and mass of bike in the front. And you can see the physics of it.

Like when you look a Hayabusa's rear suspention, it is real low and the swingarm is practically parallel to the ground, thus making it harder to raise the front.

I bought this bike from a guy and he lowered it realy f**ing low,
I was a first time rider so I didnt know if it was lowered or not, the whole time when lowered I wrenched the throttle trying to get her up, TO NO AVAIL. So I brought it to my bud and he explained it to me, and we fixed it and raised it at his house (raised it about a foot or more), when it was back to stock, I wrenched the throttle and I got a few inches off the front. Proving what I have been saying

Also raising it will make the balance point more foward, best thing is not to mess with the bike's suspeension, because most bikes are tuned and made for perfecting . . . but thats just my opintion

So, the higher the back somehow makes it fly better.

Last edited by ochoa0042; 07-04-2007 at 06:22 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
Well a stiff rear suspension will make it harder to compress, thereby lifting the front faster.

A great book to read and almost forgetten, was writtenin the 80s by Doug Domokos, the Wheelie King, who held and I think still holds, many World Records for wheelies. Check out his site
at http://www.thewheelieking.com/

Doug was the King... and sorry to say he met his death flying an ultralight aircraft.

The book can be found on his site in the store. It not only speaks of wheelies from a practical "do it," but add the physics.

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
|
|
|

|
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sportbikes
Well a stiff rear suspension will make it harder to compress, thereby lifting the front faster.

A great book to read and almost forgetten, was writtenin the 80s by Doug Domokos, the Wheelie King, who held and I think still holds, many World Records for wheelies. Check out his site
at http://www.thewheelieking.com/

Doug was the King... and sorry to say he met his death flying an ultralight aircraft.

The book can be found on his site in the store. It not only speaks of wheelies from a practical "do it," but add the physics.
I would have thought the opposite... but ok. If Domokos said otherwise... there you have it.

Still remember watching him ride the wheelie down the hills and curves in San Fransisco. Man... that dude had something!

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode