slipping burn my clutch - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

slipping burn my clutch

I been riding for about a year and have just started to wheelie, i got the power wheelie down, but when i tried to practice slipping the clutch, i burn out all my fiber paltes on my 06 r1, was was going at 55 in second i woulkd pull in the clutch and hit the gas and dropped the clutch in at 12k rpms, why would my clutch be friedn so fast, i only had 1,600 miles on the bike too??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 AM

You're probably doing it wrong. Clutch wheelies are not good for the clutch, but the wear shouldnt be anywhere near that fast. You are just looking for the right rpm, not an even power transfer like you would in a drag race

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I think i was also, i would pull in the clutch get the rpms at 10 11k then release the clutch

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM

The key to a wheelie is a good release of the clutch. You want to do it fairly quickly, so as to jump up to the high point. But not an uncontrolled dump, otherwise you'll loop it. What you want to avoid is the long release, thats what burns your clutch

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 AM

I was at the 6k mile mark on a stock clutch with my gixxer and it had been stunted since about 700 miles. So its not the clutch, its you. Your technique is probably off a bit. You shouldnt be pulling the clutch in, simply slipping it. While this does add a bit more wear to the clutch than your standard shifting, if you do it right it's not much worse than takin off in 1st gear. I just use two fingers, pull inenough for the rpms to come up, give it a wack and let it back out... comes up nice and smooth. SOrry to hear of your misfortune with the lost clutch, replace it and get back out there and try to figure it out. Practice is the only way you'll be able to figure it out. We can tell you our opinions all day but you gotta figure out what works for you. Good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
jab

Agreed, you dont want to be pulling the cluthc in, letting your revs go up, and then dump the clutch. What you want to do is give gas, slip the clutch(one or two fingers, pull in just enough to take power from the wheel, and immidiatily release(let it slip right out of your finger, dont actually let it out), as you let it go give it a little more gas. Chances are what you are doing is pulling it in, givivng it a bunch of throttle, letting it out to slow, and letting of throttle. This is bad for the clutch and bad for wheelies. The idea is to have the bike pulling, and then cut power just long enough to give a wieght transfer, annd then allow abrupt power to the wheel to bring up, with power constant or increasing after clutch is released, then let of power as you approach bp, or as close as your skill allows. cover your brake. Good luck and ask more questions as you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode