wheelie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

wheelie

I ride a 02 gsxr600 yoshi pipe slip on. I can get wheelies up in first usually cruising 6grand then pop the clutch around 11grand, but it seems by the time i get to the balance point, or up at all I am still around 11-12 grand, and its way to torquey. what should I do? I was thinking shifting quick but I dunno if I would have enough power to keep it up. Also I am having no luck getting wheelies in second, do you think the bike is underpowered. by the way I only way 150 pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:34 PM

First gear is very twitchy when doing wheelies. It takes a lot of getting used to to master first gear clutch ups. I know a lot of people who end up looping their bikes because they insist on first trying wheelies in first gear. In my opinion I would practice second gear wheelies first before you try first gear. U should be able to pull 2nd gear wheelies with no problem at all on that bike. U just have to find the sweet spot to clutch it up. Be sure to cover the back brake so u can help yourself if you go too far back.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I have been gettin better at first gear wheelies. I guess I am not finding the sweet spot in second gear cuz I cant get the front wheel up more then a couple inches.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 AM

I cant even do wheelies, but I have poped up a few because I was trying to figure it out and I think you have the wrong technique. My buddy does the same thing, only it works cause hes on a gixxer 1000. He basically pulls in the clutch at any rpm, holds it for way to long, brings the rpms up to 11k, then dumps the clutch, and the bike jumps right up, totally unpredictable. I think (for whats its worth, I hope someone will back me up) you want to get the bike going at a certain rpm, probably around 6-8k im guessing, slip the clutch very very very quickly, basically pull the clutch in until it disconnects the drive and then let it back out, its all one fluid motion, you dont stop or hold the clutch in at all. As you are letting the lever back you out also wanna be giving it quick throttle, the quicker you twist the throttle the quicker the front end goes up. I may be totally wrong about your technique, but I just know there are people who do it like that (aka my friend) and I am not sure its a good technique, or very good for the clutch or tranny.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
I cant even do wheelies, but I have poped up a few because I was trying to figure it out and I think you have the wrong technique. My buddy does the same thing, only it works cause hes on a gixxer 1000. He basically pulls in the clutch at any rpm, holds it for way to long, brings the rpms up to 11k, then dumps the clutch, and the bike jumps right up, totally unpredictable. I think (for whats its worth, I hope someone will back me up) you want to get the bike going at a certain rpm, probably around 6-8k im guessing, slip the clutch very very very quickly, basically pull the clutch in until it disconnects the drive and then let it back out, its all one fluid motion, you dont stop or hold the clutch in at all. As you are letting the lever back you out also wanna be giving it quick throttle, the quicker you twist the throttle the quicker the front end goes up. I may be totally wrong about your technique, but I just know there are people who do it like that (aka my friend) and I am not sure its a good technique, or very good for the clutch or tranny.

We could be misunderstanding each other but I am pretty sure I am doing the same thing as your friend. I usually am cruisin in first around 6k, pull the clutch in, rev it up to around 11k then let the clutch go, resulting in my front end poppin it up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 AM

I personaly don't use the cluch at all. I ride a ZX9 and a CBR600. I ride to about 5000rpm let off the throtle and give it a quick twist. Once up you have to fine tune the throtle to hold it at the balance point. I do all my wheelies in first gear.

The 600 is easyer to balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode