Can't get it up to BP. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Can't get it up to BP.

I posted this in some 600r forums I am a member of, but I will post it here as well so I can get some more opinions. Take heed my bike is a 99 yzf600r...

Ok so after a whole season of riding twisties and not really attemping stunts, besides the occasional superman and sitting sideways, I have decided it is time to learn a wheelie. I was afraid because I know this bike is heavier and less powerful than the other supersports on teh market today but after reading this forum I learned it can be done. I have the 1999 but I think most of them are the same so here goes. I tried doing the powerwheelie method in first from 20 or 30 mph but the front end did not come up at all, so I tried clutching it. I think I kinda have the clutch motion down, I now relize it is a much quicker movement than I had thought before, a simple pull in just so that it is disengaged, then let out immediatly. I was right around 4k in first, I can get the front tire off the ground, but not very high. My best wheelie after about an hour and half of practice was probably 6 or 7 inches high and a few feet. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:32 AM

you're in too much of a hurry

There are two parts to a wheelie, the initial jump, and the control stage. The jump is accomplished with rev's/clutch. The control is all throttle. It takes lots of power to control lift a wheelie, so the higher you jump it, the less you gotta lift if with the throttle.

First step, continue doing what you are, and get used to the feeling of the front off the ground. Try riding out the little wheelie all the way to the limiter, throttle pinned. Basically, break the habit of shutting the throttle as soon as it lifts.

Once you are comfortable with that, try letting the revs climb higher before you slip the clutch. Higher revs will make the front wheel jump higher, and faster. This will be a touch scary. so add a touch at a time.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM

RPM

I am not necessarily a wheelie expert, but trying to clutch it up at only 4,000 rpm on any 600 isn't gonna get much of anything off the ground. Definitely need more rpm, probably about twice as much.

I used to wheelie my old Ninja 600R, which weighs more than your bike and made about 25 less horsepower. I'd typically use 8000-10,000 rpm.

Last edited by zxrider; 08-31-2006 at 09:12 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

The dudes in the 600r forums were clutching it up from that rpm that is why I tried it, I must say the higher rpms didnt work for me, but then again I didn't really know how to do the clutch then so ill try again next time I go out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM

to find bp

wheelie bring it up high when you start shitting yourself then bring it up 6-8 inches more... that's bp

you shouldn't be able to see the road when sitting just looking right at the top of the fork tubes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I did pop one really high one (or high by my standards) today when I went back out. All the other ones only went up and then back down because the bike wasnt going to keep them up. This perfect one went up high enough where I chopped the throttle to go back down instinctively because it scared me. However I did feel glorious.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
I did pop one really high one (or high by my standards) today when I went back out. All the other ones only went up and then back down because the bike wasnt going to keep them up. This perfect one went up high enough where I chopped the throttle to go back down instinctively because it scared me. However I did feel glorious.
Do yourself a favor and cover/use the rear break. Start practicing with it. If it gets too high by your standards keep consistant throttle and use the rear break to lower it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

I do have the back brake covered, however I did not think to use it, I just chopped the throttle, do you guys use the brake to control wheelies or throttle, or both?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
I do have the back brake covered, however I did not think to use it, I just chopped the throttle, do you guys use the brake to control wheelies or throttle, or both?
It is best when at bp to use break because if you get past break control you counting on engine brake to bring you back... in some gears it's not possible. Start using it.... If you don't think to use it now you won't think to use it later, wich will end up in you looping the bike while covering the rear break.

On your bike you may get away with using throttle to mainly control the wheelie but if you get a bike with more power throttle control is not as easy.... When I move the throttle 2mm's it may be equivelent to you moving the throttle an inch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

That was my big problem with getting them high maine. I have a habit of only opening the throttle half way when I am riding regularaly so I can keep my fingers on the front brake. However I relized that I really had to gas it passed half throttle to get it up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode