Wheelies on a GSF 500 good or bad ? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Wheelies on a GSF 500 good or bad ?

My son rides a Suzuki GSF 500. He is a great rider.He wants to start to stunt on it but I dont think the bike can handle it. Am I right or am I being over protective. I know he has the skill. But I am not so sure about the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 06:18 PM

You can stunt with any bike. All you need is to learn how to balance the bike. My friend can do wheelies and hold them on scooters. It prolly would be easier if you changed out the sprockets for added low end torque to pick up the front end easier. And the 500 GS are light bikes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
And the 500 GS are light bikes.
40+ lbs heavier than the Gixxer, I wouldn't call it light. My friend got one, and I was teaching her how to ride it which involved me riding it from the dealership, as well as to & from her house to the fairgrounds where we rode. I will say that having put 50 miles on the bike, I was more comfortable riding it with a passenger on the back than I ever was my '92 F2. And the steering is surprisingly effortless, though almost to an annoying level. However, the bike felt like it had nothing to offer as far as power necessary for stunting. But I don't stunt.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
40+ lbs heavier than the Gixxer, I wouldn't call it light.
It's lighter than my bike.

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht However, the bike felt like it had nothing to offer as far as power necessary for stunting. But I don't stunt.
Any bike can be stunted. I have wheelied mini bikes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by colin409
It's lighter than my bike.

Any bike can be stunted. I have wheelied mini bikes.
True, your bike weighs in at a little under 440# dry. But it also has 110hp, 71 ft/lb. Not sure what the GS makes, but I doubt it's the same.

I have wheelied 4X4 honda 600 quads that weigh about as much as a Volvo. It's all about putting some effort into it. I'm not saying that a GS500 can't be a stunting bike. I actually think it would be a good bike to start stunting on, since it's a lot more forgiving than any race replica you can find these days. In all honesty, I would have a harder time pulling up the front on an '05 GS than I would my first bike, a '92 CBR 600 which never ran right since before I bought it.

But I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying, in terms of power-to-weight, I feel the GSF500 isn't the greatest, but for someone who is starting in the stunt scene, that might be a good thing.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
But I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying, in terms of power-to-weight, I feel the GSF500 isn't the greatest, but for someone who is starting in the stunt scene, that might be a good thing.
Then we have nothing to argue about, that's the same thing I am saying.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by colin409
Then we have nothing to argue about, that's the same thing I am saying.
Sorry, guess I just went on a useless tangent.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to littleredcar
well i will speak from experience. i have a GS 500 still.... and let me just say. not the easiest thing to wheelie. from a stop and or 10+ miles an hour, i pull in the clutch, get it up to about 7500 8500 rpm and drop the clutch. it goes up about 2-3 feet but from lack of power just drops right back down. it is an extremely light bike, but if i were trying to start stunting, like someone said. make it to where its easier to lift up or pick up a 600. GSs will go up but they will not stay up. i can positively say this from experience from riding for 1+ years. so thas my opinion. they can do it but not hold it....someone please tell me if im wrong.

1997 dodgeneon sohc
2005 GS500F
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by littleredcar
well i will speak from experience. i have a GS 500 still.... and let me just say. not the easiest thing to wheelie. from a stop and or 10+ miles an hour, i pull in the clutch, get it up to about 7500 8500 rpm and drop the clutch. it goes up about 2-3 feet but from lack of power just drops right back down. it is an extremely light bike, but if i were trying to start stunting, like someone said. make it to where its easier to lift up or pick up a 600. GSs will go up but they will not stay up. i can positively say this from experience from riding for 1+ years. so thas my opinion. they can do it but not hold it....someone please tell me if im wrong.
Your wrong. If I can wheelie a mini bike, I can wheelie a GS500. Not trying to be an ass.

Wheeling an underpowered bike is something that requires some know-how. If you are learning, I think learning on something that is difficult is the best way. Getting the bike up the first 2-3 feet is the hardest part, you can get it up the rest of the way with just body positioning. Of course, if you don't know what you aredoing, you can easily loop it.

Even if you don't really have the know-how, but still want to do it, you can just step up to a monstrous rear sprocket.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to littleredcar
ok i stand corrected. all i did today was wheelie my GS500 and you are probably right, you have to have the know how and a big ass rear sprocket to pull off some good ones. i pulled about 8 wheelies today, all of them about 2 1.2 feet off the ground but i could not hold them up. but my balls hurt like a bitch but i think i know why. anyway, i have been successful popping them going about 10-15mph give or take and dropping clutch at about 8g+ or so. but yeah.

1997 dodgeneon sohc
2005 GS500F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode