need pointers on wheelies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Cool need pointers on wheelies

i have a zx9r. jetted, muzzy exhaust, and some engine work done. i have never over the years really tried wheelies. all i have been wanting to do is haul ass!! i am wanting to learn how to wheelie now. i know my bike will do it with out any strain, but i just cant seem to get it up! not a sexual reference! i mean i can feel the front tire come up a few inches, but thats it. some of you may be asking yourself, what the hell is his problem?! really, i just need some pointers. thanks wheelie gods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM

You can check this link out Wheelie
It was very informative.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 PM

did you lower or extend the swing arm?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

no. swing arm is normal. i think its just technique, and fear of hurting #1 my bike, #2 or me. in that order! gonna keep practicing all i can, and hopefully i will be able to get it up soon! (minds out of the gutters)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 03:24 PM

When I started goofing a bit, I started clutching up at certain rpms, starting low. When you feel it pop up a bit, raise the rpms some before you clutch it up. Before you know it, you'll know where you need to rev to and at what speed the bike needs to be. That's what I did. By no means is it getting your bike to BP but it's still kinda fun every now and then.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Yeah, its also fun when you go over small hills and do wheelies right after the hills. I find that I can get to my BP sitting down easily now, but I clutch it up on the F2.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 08:42 PM

practice practice practice You are prolly shifting your weight forward and don't even realize it. Learn to use the clutch to get the bike up and don't forget to utilize the back brake. All it takes is a lot of practice. Be sure to wear your gear.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Hello there,

I don't know if this would help but on my bike I roll through first gear up until 6k and roll for a second and hit the throttle and it goes up about 3 ft. I am not sure how to ride it out yet.

I also have been practicing clutching it while in second.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

well i figured out one way to get the front end up. i just scoot my bum back untill i am all the way back on the seat, get some rpms in first then twist the throttle, and bammm. its up. feels like alot, but i know it aint up much. its a start though. haven't figured out how to cluch it up. baby steps. thanks for all the help. as i figure out more wonderful ways to make my bike do things it wasn't meant to ,i will post again.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 PM

i cant emphasize this enough...start small. a few inches is perfect. DONT GO BIG.

go somewhere alone where you wont be embarassed to do small little wheelies.

a wheelie really isnt any type of rocket science, its practice. take an entire day and concentrate on having the front come up a few inches and back down. after a day or so of practicing that concentrate on clutch control and keeping the wheelie going, once the wheel comes up, just FREEZE your throttle hand, the bike will stay in the air and eventually come down, do this for a FEW DAYS

when your finally done with that concentrate on SLOWLY ACCELERATING while in the air, and you can ride wheelies for as long as the bike will let you, eventually youll learn back brake etc but this will keep you busy for the summer.

DONT GO BIG, start small bro, or you WILL fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode