stand up vs. sit-down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

stand up vs. sit-down

Been riding about 10 years now and am looking into playing with wheelies. From my perspective, it would seem that you have more control during a stand up than a sit down wheelie? Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 11:25 AM

once at bp. stand ups are easier to keep there. The initial jump is easier sitting down

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:47 AM

I started out doing sit down wheelies and now I just can't get used to the weird feeling when I've tried to do some stand-ups. I know stand-ups are more stable and easier to control but I feel really out of place standing up on the pegs. I hope I get over it sooner or later but at this point I'm not very opptimistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00594-abc.jpg (720.3 KB, 365 views)

Last edited by SicR6; 05-07-2006 at 10:40 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:52 PM

Same here. I've been doing sit down wheelies for 1/2 yr then two months ago, when I tried to learn how to do standups. I flipped the RR going about 15-20mph. It felt really odd doing it too. Sit downs is more comfortable for me and with the RR, I could do it in 2nd gear.

I like doing wheelies after going over a hill on a road. Thats always fun, cept when cops get you for reckless endangerment. I tried to speak to the cop about physics. Too bad he couldn't understand.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. I could understand falling off the back if it came up too quick, but, being short, I would think that as I get the bike up, I would have a hard time seeing where I was going. I was out watching some kids stunt this weekend and decided to maybe slap a cage and a wheelie bar on my '92 R6 to play around on so I don't screw up my '05.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 AM

yeah, you can take off the front end and you can have a much better visibility ahead of you when you wheelie sitting down.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking about that. There is a spot here in town that seems pretty safe for stunting that they go to regularly. Maybe next weekend, I will try to remeber the camera and post some shots. We had to break out pretty quick yesterday. I wasn't keen to the fact that these guys were stunting with little to no gear on, but they were pretty good.
Right at the end, this one guy (after seeing him ride about 20 wheelies) totalled his bike in jeans and a wife beater. Yup, road rash all up his back and arms. Ripped the radiator and pipe off and punched a hole in his fuel tank. we all went racing up to him to see if he was okay, then hauled ass away a few hundred feet when we saw the fuel pouring out of the side of the bike. thought she was gonna blow. Luckily it didn't. and he walked away. I know he's gonna be hurtin' for a while.

Silly squid
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 AM

sitdowns are easier for short distance, but for long distance or if you ever want to learn some tricks you need to learn standups. I thought it was easier using a staggered stance. Either way it just takes practice. ANd its gonna feel wierd to be standing up, jsut gotta get used to it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

I figured as much. I just need to break through that wall of " I don't want to trash my nice bike trying if I f*** up" . Hence, throwing a couple hundred into the old one so I don't have to worry if I dump her. I have been leaning towards starting out trying a staggered stance stand up and seeing how that works for me. But like I have been saying, I think most of what I am doing wrong right now stems from the fear of crashing
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:59 AM

I prefer stand ups over sit downs. I only use the sit down method for short wheelies such as a quick clutch up in second and hold it there for 10 seconds or so. I like standing on the front pegs or staggered stance where your right foot is on the front right peg and the left foot is on the rear passenger peg. Staggered seeems to come up easier but you have to get used to it. The first time I ever tried it I almost fell off the side of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode