sprockets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

sprockets

Can ayone tell me what a good sprocket set-up would be for stunting my 01 gsxr 750. I was thinking of maybe a stock front sprocket and a 55 rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM
jab

what kind of stunting are we talking, occasional highway wheeeeeeeeeeelie, or are you looking to be a parking lot pimp. If you do most of your riding on the street and just want to roll a nice 2nd gear standup, i would go three or four up in the rear. If you want to get serious and work on slowing them down in first, go about 10 up in the rear. I dont ride a gix 750, so this is just a rough estimate, hopefully someone else that rides one will respond.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

I can allready pull up some pretty nice second gear stand ups with the stock gearing but I wanted to be able to slow em down. I ordered my sprockets and another length of chain last night. I went -1 in the front and +9 in the rear. I went this route this way if I am going on a long trip I can just swap out the rear sprocket for my stock one. I am going to put in two connecting links in the chain this way I can shorten it for this reason. This bike will be a dual purpose type of machine for me. What are your thoughts on -1 and +9 in the rear? I think I should be able to slow the sheelies down for sure. I have a guy that lives by me that is a pro stunter. I am going to practice with the sprockets to see if I like them and if I do he's going to make me a bar. I am just looking to excite myself with something new. Riding on the street is getting boring for me.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 AM
jab

-1 +9 sounds good to me. Will definately allow you to slow em down as much as you like. Good Luck, and be prepared to take some time getting used to the change, it will be a little unforgiving, lots of pull/engine brake, so you gotta have throttle control on lock, but thats a great set up.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the sprockets from kneedraggers. I was thinking of calling them before it ships and getting a rear sprocket with a couple more teeth. I just want to make sure that -1 +9 is a good setup. I can't even imagine what the bike is going to feel like. I am so excited.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM

Let me know how the change feels. I've been toying with the idea of going up a few teeth in the back but dont know if I'm ready or should do it yet.

Sepias
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

How many teeth do you plan on going. I went more than a few. I can imagine -1 +9 is going to be a big change. I just hope I will be able to do some slow stunting. It is a new world for me. I can ride second gear stand ups on my bike for pretty much as long as I want to. I am just looking to be able to do some parking lot type stuff. I was doing a second gear stad up the other day at about 70MPH and reality set in and made me ask myself why the hell I was doing it. Why do that kind of thing when I can toy around in a lot. Chances of getting seriously injured in the lot are a lot less than falling on the street doing a 70mph whelie.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
whelie.

Muhuhahaha. Wheelie steve spelled wheelie wrong.

-M-
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm not thinking about changing to much. 1 in the front or 4 or 5 in the back, not both. The low end on my bike is pretty weak so I figured if I change the sprocket it would help by forcing me to a higher RPM sooner... errr something like that I dont want to change it to much since I use it as a daily rider and my MPG is bad enough.

Sepias
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Muhuhahaha. Wheelie steve spelled wheelie wrong.

-M-
LOL!

One down in the front would be fine for just street riding. I made a program in microsoft excel today to calculate how fast I would actually be going for a specific RPM in 6th gear. It's pretty cool, all you have to do is input some info about the tranny gear ratio's that can easily be found in a service manual and tire size along with the RPM and it will show how many MPH you are going at that RPM. I tried to attach it, but the site will not let me attach an excel file. If anyone wants to check it out just give me your email and I will send it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode