How do you know when you've gone too far? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

How do you know when you've gone too far?

I'm still trying to get down wheelies. I can ride them out til redline in 1st gear but I want to learn how to get to the balance point so I can ride them farther. I gotten the wheel up a few times when it felt weightless but everytime it happens I always bring it down because I get scared. How do you know when you've brought the front up too much? Also, how do I get over my fear of the balance point.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:45 AM

Practice...

You just have to get a feel for the bike on one wheel so it doesnt scare you. If you can ask a friend to tape or take pictures so you know how high you are really getting (probly not as much as you think)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
How are you getting up on your wheelie? Are you powering it up with use of the throttle? Or are you clutching it up? How is your bike geared? All these things have an effect on how the bike will react when you want to ride a wheelie. If you can clutch it up in 2nd or 3rd gear, you should be able to ride it out for a long time.

This is just what I've heard...not that I would ever do anything like that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 AM

Not really any point in doing anything outstide second gear till you're comfy with bp. Honestly, the only way you'll get ovet your fear is practice. Which, consequently, will also make you ride them out farther. If you don't know if you've hit balance point, then you haven't hit it. The weightless feeling is close to balance point. but still not there. Balance point is more like that feeling you get when you go over the little bumps on the roller coaster... you know, the ones that launch you out of your seat and slam you into whatever restraints you have. Yea, that feeling... mixed with the "I'm about to fall backward on my chair" feeling, and a little "whoa someone just pulled a rug out from under me" feeling. Roll that up, add some serious adrenaline... and you've got a pretty good idea of balance point... and the answer to why wheelies are so much fun. Thier nothing to rush into. Just practice... and from now on... try to bring it up as quickly as possible... unstead of throttle junkie-ing yourself in and out of it. When you feel that "I just shit myself" feeling in your gut, hit the rear brake... don't mash it, just tap it. It'll bring you right back to comfy land. This alone will add tons of yardage to your wheelie. And once you get comfortable with it, you'll be able to learn exactly where bp is and the tap tapy tap motion with the brake that keeps you in balance all day and lets you ride wheelies for miles. Best of luck. Be safe and take it slow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 PM

I still have trouble utilizing the back break. I can ride at BP for a very long period of time, but still can't get used to using the break, I just clutch it up to the BP and stay there all day long. My wheelies aren't at all choppy. I keep trying to learn how to use the rear break, but I never find a need for it. I guess it is just practice. The only time I naturally go to the back break is if I really feel myself going past the BP.

Roadstain: I plan on picking up a stunt bike sometime this summer! I am very excited. I am going to start saving for it soon.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Glad to hear it... you'll find a need for that rear brake once you start slowing your wheelies down and learning to 12.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM

I agree. I don't really have a use for the back brake right now because all of my wheelies are high speed ones. Once I start trying to hold a 12 oclock at 10 MPH it is going to be a whole different ball game. I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode