tank spreaders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,151
tank spreaders

I think they look fuckin badass, so my goal is to be able to do them by the end of the summer. I'm gonna try and practice every day so I think I can get em. Anyway, first I need to get my regular wheelies on lock because right now I can't stay in bp. Once I get those down in first and second gear, I'm guessing I should dent my tank in and get a handbrake? Or should I try to learn something else before goin to spreaders? Any tips would be appreciated.
Unas_the_Slayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:45 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 489
Honestly man, don't get ahead of yourself. I'll throw my .02 in on the subject and anyone else feel free to interject.

Spreaders are by far my favorite. Without a doubt. BUT!! If you aren't rockin consistent bp wheelies in 1st and second gear with excellent brake control... don't do it yet. The thing with spreaders is, if you come down hard... you're goin over the bars. Where as with a regular wheelie, you just smash your nuts. they're no joke and I busted myself up pretty bad a couple times learnin them. (mostly my fault) You have to have clutch ups MASTERED and then you get to relearn it! WEEEEE... but it'll be easy this time around, just more throttle.

Once you're ready for them, post up and I"ll make a write up for tank denting, and a homemade handbrake. Or you can buy one. they aren't too bad. a couple bucks more but I think it's worth it.

Spreaders are a must have for your bag of tricks. Start stretching now if you aren't limber... gotta get them nice and high, other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.

Yay for spreaders!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twin spreaders.jpg (33.0 KB, 217 views)
RoadStainR6 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered User
 
duessel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to duessel
agreed
duessel is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.





Vash is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
Honestly man, don't get ahead of yourself. I'll throw my .02 in on the subject and anyone else feel free to interject.

Spreaders are by far my favorite. Without a doubt. BUT!! If you aren't rockin consistent bp wheelies in 1st and second gear with excellent brake control... don't do it yet. The thing with spreaders is, if you come down hard... you're goin over the bars. Where as with a regular wheelie, you just smash your nuts. they're no joke and I busted myself up pretty bad a couple times learnin them. (mostly my fault) You have to have clutch ups MASTERED and then you get to relearn it! WEEEEE... but it'll be easy this time around, just more throttle.

Once you're ready for them, post up and I"ll make a write up for tank denting, and a homemade handbrake. Or you can buy one. they aren't too bad. a couple bucks more but I think it's worth it.

Spreaders are a must have for your bag of tricks. Start stretching now if you aren't limber... gotta get them nice and high, other wise you won't look gangsta, just... well kinda goofy.

Yay for spreaders!


Yea, I know. But I mean if I get out there every day and practice for a couple hours I'm hoping to be able to get regular wheelies on lock sooner then the occasional practice session would have gotten me. I actually just picked up a tank on ebay for $26. It's even the same color scheme as my bike, and only has a few scratches and a small dent on the back (where your crotch is when you're in the seat) so maybe ya could post up that guide whenever you get a chance? I don't plan on moving on to tank wheelies anytime soon, but I couldn't pass up the great deal and it'll be nice to have all set up and ready. And maybe a link to a place I could get a handbrake?

Thanks for all the advice.
Unas_the_Slayer is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:22 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 489
You'll be amazed how fast they come to you if you start practicing daily. But you'll still have your on and off days. especially while learning a new trick. one day you'll kill it, the next day you'll wonder if wheelies are even possible.

While you're waiting to get that stuff on lock, you'll have plenty of time to do the tank and save for the new rearsets and clip ons that you'll need. Oh, and stock up on case covers and jb weld I'll do a nice pretty tank denting write up.. maybe include some pics if I can find them. Good luck and have fun!
RoadStainR6 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,151
oh yea one more question.. is there a good cage I can get that won't impede my street riding too much? I wanna keep riding the street until I get another bike hopefully at the end of the year so I don't want something that'll hang real low.
Unas_the_Slayer is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 489
905's are good for street riding. MXD is also really good. I like freestlye ingenuity... you can remove the loop for days you aren't stunting and just have extended sliders, then put the loop on for practicing. Takes 3 minutes tops.
RoadStainR6 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,151
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
905's are good for street riding. MXD is also really good. I like freestlye ingenuity... you can remove the loop for days you aren't stunting and just have extended sliders, then put the loop on for practicing. Takes 3 minutes tops.
Thanks a lot, I'll check em out. I'll probably get the FI cage, I've seen them recommended on other forums and they seem to fit what I need best. I was lookin on 905's website and they had some handbrakes but none for an F3.. any idea where I could pick one up for my bike?

Last edited by Unas_the_Slayer; 01-25-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Unas_the_Slayer is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:38 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,798
FI cages rock. Quality product. I wouldnt say it takes 3 minuts to chage, more like 30. Unless you got a friend helping you, then its quick.
There is however one big disadvanage. Even with the loop off, you have to remove the sliders in order to take the mid fairings off. Which is a real PIA.



Vash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome