Wheelies - Gixer Thou K4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Wheelies - Gixer Thou K4

Hello, I have a GSXR1000K4 and would like to learn how to wheelie it properly. My wheelie history comprises of some clutched up 1st gear wheelies on a ZX7R, power wheelies on TL1000S, power wheelies on CBR900RRX. All of these were straight up, then straight back down. I've never attempted to ride any of them as I usually sh*t my pants. I ride quickly on the road, and the route I ride often has the wheel jumping up at well over 100mph (whole bike jumps at about 120mph in one spot) and this doesn't bother me. But if I try intentionally to lift the wheel at <40mph I get a massive adrenalin rush (and adrenalin IS brown I believe....) and put it down. What's happening?

How can I start to learn on this bike, clutch in second? Also how long will my clutch last whilst practicing this?

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:38 AM

Clutch it in first, at 20-40. Find some safe place to do it, and just keep practicing. Everyone drops them down at first, but before long, you'll get used to what it feels like having the front in the air and wont freak out when it happens.
The reason I say first, is because the speed is lower, so should you mess up it wont hurt nearly as bad.

Remember the rear brake.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

You definitely do not need to clutch that bike up in first gear. Just keep it at 1/4 throttle until about 4,000 ~ 5,000 RPMs and wack it all the way open. The front end will come right up.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
You definitely do not need to clutch that bike up in first gear. Just keep it at 1/4 throttle until about 4,000 ~ 5,000 RPMs and wack it all the way open. The front end will come right up.
With all due respect, I disagree. While the bike will come up just fine off the throttle, a wheelie is much easier to control with the clutch. Might as well learn to do it right, rather then try to switch later.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

The front end is going to come up a lot faster clutching it, he needs to start up smooth. Not violent clutching. To each his own brother, I do both but by far on a 1k if you are learning (Not try to 12 it), power wheelies are definitely smoother on the rise than clutching, it's totally not needed on any bike 600ccs and up.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:15 AM

I always got the exact opposite impression. Powering it depended too much on what rpm I was in, and my biggest fear has always been when the sudden acceleration pulls me back stretching my throttle arm. One time I found I could not close the throttle. Never happened with the clutch. But like you said, to each his own.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fellas,
There are a few places on the course where the front always lifts accelerating in 1st gear. I might try to keep it up a bit longer each time, and also try some clutch work on a nice flat back road that I know. My biggest problem is that I instinctively hunch forward whenever the wheel lifts. I don't think the machine control will be much of a problem, it's just overriding my natural reactions which is the difficult part!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyMcIOM
Thanks fellas,
There are a few places on the course where the front always lifts accelerating in 1st gear. I might try to keep it up a bit longer each time, and also try some clutch work on a nice flat back road that I know. My biggest problem is that I instinctively hunch forward whenever the wheel lifts. I don't think the machine control will be much of a problem, it's just overriding my natural reactions which is the difficult part!
That comes with practice.

or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyMcIOM
Thanks fellas,
Practice bro, untill you get used to it. then you can better control your instincts.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 AM

i have a k4, it wheelies in 3rd with no problem,, just roll on to the throttle in first and it will come right up.. forget the clutch.. much more controlled learning throttle control.. then the technique of standups and 2nds is no problem.. ur really really nuts trying to clutch 1st..

u dont have to hit the balance point in 1st to keep the wheel up.. just slowly keep rolling on the throttle and ull ride it out..

once u get conformtable then try hitting the balance point in 2nd.. its too twitchy in 1st for keeping the balance point.. take little steps at a time and become comfortable.. wear ur gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode