Wheelies on a YZF750R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Wheelies on a YZF750R

Any tips to get the front end up on this bike? Its pretty heavy. I haven't seriously tried to bring the front up just pissed around at it a few times on back roads goin home. The weight just doesn't seem to want to shift off the front wheel. Ide be in second with the RPMs at around 11-12K and slowly lettin out the clutch (Ive read that poping the clutch is a bad thing?) Should I pull back on the bars or let the bike do the work? I haven't tried bouncing it up, it just doesn't seem like I should need to nor do I really want to bounce it to get it up. I'm in no big rush to learn to wheelie, I enjoy just riding more than anything, but Ide like to atleast be able to say/know I can do one

Thanks,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 AM

Ask sindic he's got the same bike (maybe different year).
The clutch is abit tricky to master. You arent looking to pop it, but you are looking for a pretty quick transition. Think as quick as you can, while still maintaining control of it (and not just letting go). Also to begin with you might want to go with lower revs.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 AM

I can't do one very well, but I can get the wheel on my YZF600R up and ride it for a few feet before it comes back down because I chopped the throttle too much.

Basically, you'll have the same technique as I do, just with a little more power and weight.

I cruise at about 6k in first gear, pull the clutch just enough to disengage it, give a 1/3 twist of the throttle and let go of the clutch. As long as I've got traction, the front end jumps right up.

I would suggest small throttle twists at first, to promote just a little wheel lift. I'm far from even being a novice wheelie machine though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 AM

I think anyone that can loop a bicycle is a pro!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 AM

It takes talent, I'll say!

I forgot to add, since your bike is pretty heavy (as is mine) it helps a lot to scoot back on the seat a little, lock your knees on the tank (cover the back brake!) and take as much weight off of your hands as possible.

So, there's all my tips!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. One question though. This may sound stupid but here goes. By cover the brake do you mean the front brake or the rear?

Thanks,
Sepias
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Rear. And that bike will wheelie well if the EXUP has been left on. Start with lower RPMs, and control it with the throttle as said above. Keep the back brake covered.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

What's an EXUP?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sindic
What's an EXUP?
The YZF 600R doesn't have one. The 750s and 1000s do. It's Yamahas Exhaust Ultimate Power valve. A valve in the exhaust that adjusts backpressure to help with low end torque.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I dont think my bike has EXUP on it still. First gear is horrible on pick-up. Anything under 5k in first is rather poor. All the other gears accel way better from 3-5 than 1st. Im not to worried about performance on this bike though since its my first one and I was only plannin on keeping it for a year to year and a half while I am getting a feel for riding. Anyways, Ill give it a shot next time im out.
Quick question, to bring the front back down should I slow off the throttle or slowly clutch or both?

Thanks again for all the tips,
Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode